Could be helpful to someone out there

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frasier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just sharing the experience with my 2007 Tahoe LTZ 4x4, in hopes that it could save someone some time and heartache.

Headed out on a 1200 mile roadtrip, cruising down the interstate and felt/heard a small knock/pop one time. Thinking I ran over something small and it hit the undercarriage or something like that, I continued on. A couple miles down the road, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree (stabilitrak disabled, service 4wd message, etc), and truck went into "limp home" mode.

Made it to the closest dealership and they found a fouled spark plug. Replaced that, and didn't fix it. Thinking it was a broken valve spring, they started on that. Not the issue either. Ended up being a stuck lifter spring. Took an entire day to tear the left side of the engine down and replace the lifter spring. I went ahead and had them do all 4 while they were in there.

Apparently, with the continuous on/off of the cylinders because of the AFM, this is a fairly common issue.

I have since purchased the Range module to disable the AFM.

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased the Range AFM Disable but I have a stuck lifter again.

Addicted

Reaction score
This is a good watchout to be aware of. The qeustion now is, how to prevent it. Harbison, did you fix yourself, or take to a shop? Are the lifters sludged up?

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a good watchout to be aware of. The qeustion now is, how to prevent it. Harbison, did you fix yourself, or take to a shop? Are the lifters sludged up?
Did it myself. The lifters aren't sludged up but man was it stuck! Took a lot of force to get the spring to release. I think the tolerances are too tight on some of these. I replaced all 4 AFM lifters on the left side. The other 3 seemed just fine. Here are some problems I see: 1. Excessive oil consumption. 2. Oil change message usually goes 8-9,000 miles. 3. Tight tolerances cause valve lifter to stick. Others report replacing VLOM. I will keep Range AFM Disabler plugged in and change oil every 3,000 miles.

harbison

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks. Time to search for VLOM. :rotflmao:
valve lifter oil management. Goes under the intake manifold. GM redesigned it with stronger solenoids and larger oil screens. This is what shuts off 4 cylinders for AFM. Part Number GM #12571609.

Rexter

Reaction score
yup same thing for me too shop wanted 2k plus to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davekalk