Cost of rear main seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The oil change place told me that my rear main seal is leaking. I recently noticed quite a few new oil stains on my driveway. I used to do all my own maintenance and repairs but no longer have the time, place or equipment to do so any longer and need to take it to a shop.

What should I expect to pay to have the rear main seal replaced? 2005 Tahoe Z71 5.3L 163k miles

Ok, how did the "oil change place" determine that the rear main seal is leaking? If they/you see oil drips at the bottom of where the trans and engine mate up then that is possibly a rear main seal but not always. As was said in another post, the oil sender could be leaking. The back of the engine at a valve cover or the intake....etc. Oil change places are not known for the best "diagnostic procedures" and sometimes when they see ANY OIL LEAK they will say something and note it just to cover themselves for you coming back and saying that you did not have oil usage or oil leaks till they touched your vehicle. Get a proper diagnosis.

Last edited:

Slurpglass

Reaction score
I'm coming up with 89060436 for the seal and 12639249 for the gasket. Plug your VIN in here and double check:

https://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalog/catalog_search.php

Thanks @swathdiver for the prompt response. Those are indeed the same part numbers required for a 2007 5.3l w/flex.

Another point that I don’t believe has been mentioned is to use a thicker weight oil. The manufacture recommendations are not always correct. Remember, they want you to trade in and buy new. So the oil suggestions given by them is not necessarily for longevity, but more as a bare minimum suggestion. Example: I run Mobile1 10w-30 high mileage synthetic instead of 5w-30, and its greatly assisted in lessening the overall leak.

I’m practically spitting distance from 300k miles, so as a celebration I’m treating the olde hoe to a new main seal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks @swathdiver for the prompt response. Those are indeed the same part numbers required for a 2007 5.3l w/flex.

Another point that I don’t believe has been mentioned is to use a thicker weight oil. The manufacture recommendations are not always correct. Remember, they want you to trade in and buy new. So the oil suggestions given by them is not necessarily for longevity, but more as a bare minimum suggestion. Example: I run Mobile1 10w-30 high mileage synthetic instead of 5w-30, and its greatly assisted in lessening the overall leak.

I’m practically spitting distance from 300k miles, so as a celebration I’m treating the olde hoe to a new main seal.

You really think they’re going to tell us to run an oil viscosity that’s meant to decrease engine life? And are you also going to say the same thing about their fluid specs for the trans, differentials, transfer cases, brakes, coolant, etc? Are those also bare minimums? I highly doubt you’re correct. The fact these engines regularly go for 400-500,000 miles suggests you are wrong.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The guys who designed these trucks are car guys and more than a few drag race, or used to before they retired. They have to design and build a truck that makes a profit, bests the competition and pleases their owners all the while dealing with bean counters and the government. Tighter tolerances allowed the use of thinner oils which also increased fuel efficiency. That being said, the LS engines in the Corvettes, run a thicker oil when they are raced on the track. Your motor is a testament to the enduring design of the now legendary LS engine.

Slurpglass

Reaction score
You really think they’re going to tell us to run an oil viscosity that’s meant to decrease engine life? And are you also going to say the same thing about their fluid specs for the trans, differentials, transfer cases, brakes, coolant, etc? Are those also bare minimums? I highly doubt you’re correct. The fact these engines regularly go for 400-500,000 miles suggests you are wrong.
And a speed limit is just a suggestion. to each their own though. But at 300k and a mechanic myself I wouldn’t doubt myself, or waste my time stating my opinion.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
And a speed limit is just a suggestion. to each their own though. But at 300k and a mechanic myself I wouldn’t doubt myself, or waste my time stating my opinion.

Officially spanked and then came back with solid opinion. Work in the trenches and gain knowledge. Everything I did over 35 years was not always recommended, but sometimes thinking out of the box works and then can be shared in an honest opinion.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Officially spanked and then came back with solid opinion. Work in the trenches and gain knowledge. Everything I did over 35 years was not always recommended, but sometimes thinking out of the box works and then can be shared in an honest opinion.
I didn’t “ spank” him or at least didn’t intend to. I just stated my opinion. ;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n