correct steering gear/box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys a few years ago i had to replace the steering gear/box on my 1996 2 door tahoe. i got a reman unit from "Vato-zone". the steering is scary, its super sensitive, extremely light and doesnt feel anything like a stock box.

I want to replace it with the correct box/New box. Anyone know where to get the correct one? what brand?

thanks

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The usual recommendations are Redhead and Bluetop as your odds of getting a functioning box are significantly higher than through a parts store or vendors like Rockauto, etc. I’ve had both, no problems with either of them but there are always exceptions.

I was talking to a local shop here about them a couple years back. He said they’ll install part store remans but won’t warranty them afterward since it usually takes them a couple of tries to find a box that sort of works.

OP
OP
th3 shifty

th3 shifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The usual recommendations are Redhead and Bluetop as your odds of getting a functioning box are significantly higher than through a parts store or vendors like Rockauto, etc. I’ve had both, no problems with either of them but there are always exceptions.

I was talking to a local shop here about them a couple years back. He said they’ll install part store remans but won’t warranty them afterward since it usually takes them a couple of tries to find a box that sort of works.
oh wow OK.. thanks for the heads up. I was looking on Rockauto last night, i did come across the redhead but was unsure on it since the price is significantly more.

I do see Rockauto has "brand new" units available as well, what are the thoughts on a brand new unit vs the redhead?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if that’s a new thing (someone making new Saginaw boxes), I don’t remember seeing those when I did mine a few years ago.

I’m likely just jaded with aftermarket parts, but if these companies cannot go through the trouble of sourcing functioning rebuilds from overseas then I’d question how they can source new ones.

Given the amount of effort involved, I’d go with Redhead or Bluetop given their usually positive reputations.

I think they’re both based in one of the Dakotas and that the guy that runs Bluetop used to be with Redhead.

Or, try your hand at rebuilding one. You’d certainly do a more conscientious job than most of the suppliers.

Hoesgottaeat2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only replaced (1) gear box in the (4) trucks I've owned on this platform in the past (2) decades. It was a reman from Autozone. Drove it for several years without a problem.

Hearing the inconsistency with the quality of remans these days, I'd personally consider rebuilding one if I needed a replacement today. I have more time these days to do that as opposed to the time crunch in the past when we were raising the kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mldawson11