Control arms for lowered 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Avyhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As the title suggests, are there aftermarket control arms for the lowered 4wd guys, like myself, to address ball joints angles on the upper and lower control arms? I haven't had any luck finding anything.

I'd like to go lower but not without correcting ball joint angles. Custom front axles might play a part as well but let's stick to the topic lol

Thanks. 20220624_190653.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming it's a 1500, AFAIK, the suspension and all is the same as a 2WD. Basically, the only difference for the 4WD is the hubs. If this is correct, then any lowering components for a 4WD would be the same as those for a 2WD. How is it lowered? Belltech made an updated spindle for those dropping more than the 2" from a spindle-only drop to improve the ball joint angle and reduce bump steer. McGaughy's spindle maintains the factory geometries, but only lowers 1.75" and has a finicky hub mounting design. So, any drop beyond that (springs, struts, coil relocator perches or lower arms) is all the ball joints will be affected by.

OP
OP
Avyhoe

Avyhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Assuming it's a 1500, AFAIK, the suspension and all is the same as a 2WD. Basically, the only difference for the 4WD is the hubs. If this is correct, then any lowering components for a 4WD would be the same as those for a 2WD. How is it lowered? Belltech made an updated spindle for those dropping more than the 2" from a spindle-only drop to improve the ball joint angle and reduce bump steer. McGaughy's spindle maintains the factory geometries, but only lowers 1.75" and has a finicky hub mounting design. So, any drop beyond that (springs, struts, coil relocator perches or lower arms) is all the ball joints will be affected by.
Thank you for responding.

Yes sir, it is a 1500. It is currently lowered with belltech adjustable struts in front set at max low. 4 inch springs in the rear with 1 coil cut out.

So, you're saying if I get 4wd spindles with the updated geometry and any of the off the shelf aftermarket 2wd arms, it should work?

Can anyone confirm the 2wd arms work on a 4wd platform? I would assume they're the same for efficiency sake within the factory and only the spindle or the wheel bearings would be different. I'm just wondering if it's been done before?

Thanks again.

1lowhoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old Denali still AWD was lowered with IHC upper and lower control arms ! I had fox coilovers set at stock and rode badass up front ! I’ll be doing the same to my Tahoe nowE9382DF1-6A71-48C7-A329-1F85A911808E.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout