Considering an SSV and have some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

STAGE 2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ive been in the market for an obs 2 door Tahoe but came across the SSVs and am wondering if it might be better for what I’m looking for. The pros of the obs Tahoe is that it’s probably more reliable, much easier and cheaper to work on, and has a larger fuel tank. The SSV on the other hand is larger, more powerful and more comfortable.

The two things I’m wondering are first if the SSV ever came with a manual transfer case. Second, why do some of these trucks look more lifted than others? I’m looking at classifieds and there will be 4wd vehicles of the same year with one sitting relative low and the other significantly higher. ?

DOJ 1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
never seen a manual tcase,
ssv front end sits 1.5 to 1.75 inches higher. they were made that way. also a tad stiffer by feel. Hard to say how much the rear is picked up .25 inch or less. when you lift the nose the whole center of gravity and weight distribution changes on the vehicle.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
More than a few vehicles in the used market will be leveled or lifted.

And to clarify, the NNBS SSV is only really a code to indicate it’s sold to a government fleet buyer. They could select from a menu of options just like a NGO buyer.

My opinion tread carefully in shopping fleet vehicles. They were always driven by someone who didn’t own it and were not responsible for maintenance. Like rentals, only worse.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a SSV that came from Border Patrol. It has not been without its issues, for the most part, but I have been happy with my purchase. As soon as I got it home-most of the fluids were changed, new brakes/rotors, rear Rancho shocks, and front suspension bushings are swapped. Nearly a year out-I have done all the motor mounts (paid for that), new upstream O2 sensors, new oil pressure sending unit and screen. Mechanically, that is all that has been done-cosmetically/civilianization is on-going.

Shackman7878

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only issue I had with my SSV is accidently leaving it in Auto 4x4. Was told once and a while to put it in 4x4 so the electric motor dose not lock up.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!

OP
OP
S

STAGE 2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a SSV that came from Border Patrol. It has not been without its issues, for the most part, but I have been happy with my purchase. As soon as I got it home-most of the fluids were changed, new brakes/rotors, rear Rancho shocks, and front suspension bushings are swapped. Nearly a year out-I have done all the motor mounts (paid for that), new upstream O2 sensors, new oil pressure sending unit and screen. Mechanically, that is all that has been done-cosmetically/civilianization is on-going.

Did yours come with the front skid plate and cut bumper? It’s usually the CBP trucks that I’ve seen that look the most lifted. Wonder if they have a different suspension spec than a regular 4x4 ssv.

Fubar0715

Scott
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine has the skid plates however, the front bumper cover appears to have been swapped out to a civilian version. My truck sits noticeably higher than my old NBS but that may be related to it being 4x4. The stance is level with maybe an ever so slight rear dip but I don't recall seeing anything like a lift when I had it up on a car lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts