Considering an SSV and have some questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Buying an SSV is a labor of love. While they can be had for a bargain at auction, they can be a mixed bag. The forum here should be able to get you through most issues you will encounter. I would do it all over again. I bought my 2011 SSV with 119k on it. Drove it to about 160k before I started having issues. Wound up replacing the motor, trans, rear end and had the transfer case rebuilt. Runs like brand new now. I was fully expecting to do that when I bought it but it ran better than I expected.
As far as the ride heights go, there's also a PPV (pursuit) version that has smaller wheels and tires. They are also two wheel drive and don't have the tow package. They are oursuitvrated up to around 140 mph where the SSV's are not and are speed governed to 122 mph.
Check the RPO code sticker inside the glove box to see see what suspension and other options that particular vehicle has. Depending on the agency that bought them, there may be different options for a particular fleet.
Keep us updated on your decision.
Cheers.

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
I have a 2013 SSV and mine is governed at 98 mph? Are you sure on the 122 info?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy
I based that on the info available at the time when I bought my 2011.
I have a 2013 SSV and mine is governed at 98 mph? Are you sure on the 122 info?

Mike--Hamilton Chevy
I'm pretty sure that's the case. Maybe they turned it down a bit for 2013. The SSV's have a higher center of gravity thus the possibility for reduced handling at higher speeds. Seems reasonable to me. I will try to find the data on those governed numbers though. Link below is from the Michigan state Police speed test records. They tested the PPV and clocked it at 139mph on their test track.
So 122 wouldn't be a stretch for the SSV. For the record, I have no interest in finding out.

Fred34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Only issue I had with my SSV is accidently leaving it in Auto 4x4. Was told once and a while to put it in 4x4 so the electric motor dose not lock up.
Hello, aren’t you supposed to run in auto 4x4 all the time ? That’s what I am doing with my 2016 PPV Suburban. Should I be running it in 2wd all the time, if I don’t need 4 wheel drive ? What can go wrong ?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Hello, aren’t you supposed to run in auto 4x4 all the time ? That’s what I am doing with my 2016 PPV Suburban. Should I be running it in 2wd all the time, if I don’t need 4 wheel drive ? What can go wrong ?
It’s advisable to once a month or so run the 4x4 system through all its operating positions. That’s to keep the shift shafts, motor, and all the associated parts from sticking in place from disuse.

In auto the motor is likely moving regularly *if* low traction conditions are encountered because it operates to apply pressure to the front drive clutch pack. However the other parts like the front axle disconnect and range shift fork only move when you go to 2WD or low range.

PS- a 4x4 PPV Suburban? I think that doesn’t exist, but I’m prepared to be educated- I’d love to have one.

Last edited:

RooTBeeRthe1st

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure why the fake ethanol sensor freaked out, I guess they just do that when they like.
Driving for a while, messed with the maf, just made it run worse but also still said it was 25 plus percent lean even after changing it 25%.

So did the next thing I could think of, got it down just under 3/4 of a tank and put just over 3 gallons of 91 in the tank so that it would recalibrate the ethanol in the tank and it went from 21.6 to 33.7%... which should still be very far off from what it actually is.
But it looks like it's close enough to not throw any more codes at least.
Thought about it a while ago before I had any issues and decided against it, now I might go ahead and add an actual sensor after all.
Virtual sensor always seemed like a stupid idea to me. ‍♂️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210911-110359~2.png
    Screenshot_20210911-110359~2.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 1

Shackman7878

Full Access Member
Reaction score
9-34 Of owners manual
AUTO (Automatic Four-Wheel Drive): This setting is ideal for use when road surface traction conditions are variable. When driving the vehicle in AUTO, the front axle is engaged, and the vehicle's power is sent to the front and rear wheels automatically based on driving conditions. Driving in this mode results in slightly lower fuel economy than Two-Wheel Drive High.

Mine did not like any speed above 50 mph (made a humming noise) while in Auto 4x4 after I left it there on accident.

Ebay Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that's the case. Maybe they turned it down a bit for 2013. The SSV's have a higher center of gravity thus the possibility for reduced handling at higher speeds. Seems reasonable to me. I will try to find the data on those governed numbers though. Link below is from the Michigan state Police speed test records. They tested the PPV and clocked it at 139mph on their test track.
So 122 wouldn't be a stretch for the SSV. For the record, I have no interest in finding out.
I understand the factory pursuit speed rating of 122 for the SSV but my question was about the governed speed? I have tried plenty of times to go faster and mine is governed at 98 mph and will not go any faster no matter what you try.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I understand the factory pursuit speed rating of 122 for the SSV but my question was about the governed speed? I have tried plenty of times to go faster and mine is governed at 98 mph and will not go any faster no matter what you try.

Mike--Hamilton Chevy
I’m almost certain there’s some misinformation being inadvertently passed around here. Someone correct ME if I’m not spot on.

PPV is a pursuit rated 2WD vehicle.

SSV is a 4WD sold to a government buyer. Lots of variations in options but there is no ”pursuit rated” 4x4. They are speed limited just like every other civvy 4x4.

I see frequently information conflated between these two vehicles, probably in part because the forum groups them together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic