Considering '15+ Burb...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRAAP

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Short version... Of the 2015-2019ish Burbs, what is your take on reliability, comfort, features, etc of the various models? We will need 4x4, also aware fo the downfalls of DOD and would hopefully find one that had DOD deleted early on its life. Outside of that, please enlighten us as to your experiences, nuances of this generation of GM SUV...?

Longer version... We are Chev fans since the early 80's, personally went through many phases of life growing up, Aviation maintenance tech for a few years, then on to engine building for a few years, own our own custom sports car building/tuning shop for extreme performance sports cars enthusiast, Autocross and track car building/tuning etc, more specifically LSx conversions specializing in the early Datsun Z car and E36 BMW chassis LSx conversions, etc. Any how my wife and I both are very fond of our 01 Burb 1500 4x4 LT we bought in '04 with 30,000 on the clock, this is still her favorite and daily driver now with 340,000 on the clock, everything is original and working, only the the obvious consumables such as water pumps, alternators, tires, brakes, couple of window regulators, fuel pumps, just replaced the second 2nd gear trans servo, etc replaced. Only mods are early on using my HP-Tuners PRO software I adjusted her ignition map to more closely mimic the Z06 ignition timing map for better milage, (gained 2+MPG), also reset the trans to not engage 4th gear until 52MPH is achieved to avoid the constant hunt between 3rd and 4th gear on a particular hill while under 50 MPH, (that is the only tuning I performed on her rig done way back and when, mine has received a bit more tuning:) ), yet is still running strong delivering 17MPG freeway MPG. Over the years have bought a few other GMT800 Hoes and Burbs, still have all of them in the family between us my aging parents and our older children. Mine is also an 01 Burb, (purchased at 130,000 miles, currently 260,000 miles, 3"level lifted, ALL new suspension and larger tires for mild off-roading, recently swapped in LQ9, quite a few other mods....).
On to the point.
My lovely bride of 32 years of marriage is desiring a newer Burb. We have had a few 07's-'19 as long term rentals and honestly we're not fans of the newer "driver nanny systems" in the newer rigs but seems to be no way around that, (lane change nudging, seat buzzing/windshield lighting up if it senses to close proximity..., were old school and prefer to actually "drive" our rig and not get complacent in allowing technology the task of driving for us. Being a Private Pilot and accountable as "pilot in command", this is probably more personal to me than the younger generations... I digress).
Of the 2015-2019ish Burbs, what is your take on reliability, comfort, features, etc of the various models? We will need 4x4, also aware fo the downfalls of DOD and would hopefully find one that had DOD deleted early on its life. Outside of that, please enlighten us as to your experiences, nuances of this generation of GM SUV...

tsuintx

Full Access Member
Reaction score

George100

Reaction score
I am in my fourth year with my 17 sub and so far all that happened was the drivers door was not lined up right at the factory and the hi gain antenna leaked which was a known problem, both fixed under warranty but otherwise no issues. If you look at the forums, you will really not see too much that is bad even going back to the GMT400, yes there have been vehicles with booming on the road and some with bad condensors but overall, the last four model types have been on the whole really good. The DOD has been taken care for the most part and now most will just want to delete based on personal choice and what they may think can happen, nothing wrong in that. Do your research and look for records, otherwise good luck and you really wont go far wrong.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a hit and miss when buying any vehicle.

To lower you chances of getting a bad one...Get ALL service records and make sure it went in for service on schedule, Take it on a long test drive on the highway and on local streets. Have a mechanic [or Mobile mechanic] check it out from top to bottom in case you missed something.

Higher mileage is not a issue for me if it was serviced on schedule and the price is right. I generally find people who buy very low mileage vehicles have more issues then the ones that buy high mileage vehicles.

If you buy 15-17 and it has the original a/c Condenser you will need to replace it sooner or later if it was not replaced already.

Make sure it is a one owner. If it had 2 or more owners I would take a pass.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can use Range device or get a tune, like Blackbear to disable to DoD if you dont want it

"buffeting issues" ... either your vehicle has it or it doesnt.

can be any of the '15 thru '20 models.
GM doesnt know how to fix it. as they have a Dell pc type approach... throw a bunch fixes & hope one works.
overall seems to be more tolerance stacking issue.

drive it in varying road conditions & speeds from 25-75+ ... you will know if its happening ;)
bring the whole family
if anyone has sensitive ears , they will know if that particular vehicle has the issue or not.

i have a '15 burb, 4x4 w/ sunroof, lowered on 22's... never had the buffeting issue

if you want a 6.2L, you will have to get an '18 or newer, RST or above model

for the seat buzzing/lane notifier.... just think of it as an intermittent massage chair LOL :anitoof:

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rear A/C condenser has TSB for known issues.

as others have said, check all maintenance records, look for TSB & recall work

OEM tires will have been replaced by now. definitely road force balance any replacements.

mag ride can be an issue when they leak... they will lock up shortly after.
if you dont want mag ride, change out shocks & get the MRC eliminators (Xineering)

make sure trans flush was done btwn 45k-90k -ish

avoid the 8spd trans. 6spd & 10spd are ok

im approaching 70k miles w/ no major issues. <knock on wood>

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can afford it, absolutely get an 18 or 19. There are so many issues with these trucks but especially on the 15 and 16. If you’re coming from a GMT-800, you will despise a 15 or 16. My main issues are ride quality and that damn buffeting (plus 8 speed, if equipped). I would see if you can get an overnight test drive and drive it on various roads and speeds.

Pittz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2015 w/ 52k. Only issue has been the leaky antenna. Took me all of an hour start to finish and upgraded to the color matched one.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the driving nannies turned OFF, no more lane nudge, or buzzing.

It is in the owners manual.how to turn off.

Park assist is on, and close approach can be adjusted on the steering wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak

Latest posts