Connecting accessory lights help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are a couple of posts on the fuse box of my 09 where it is supposedly 12v power supply to a trailer. I was planning to test that out as an option, but really don't know more about it and if it is constant or turns off with the ignition.
I don't believe it's switched.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
How much current do these lights pull? Are you switching them somewhere?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see no problem attaching an eyelet to the positive battery cable "tightening" stud/nut/bolt. Just make sure your positive wire to your fog light relay and switch are fused.

Similarly you could add an eyelet to where the large positive battery cable bolts to the main under hood fuse box.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does it have a fuse as well? With that low draw, you could potentially use one of those add-a-fuse things to the fuse block under the hood.

^^This. No need to connect directly to the battery for that low draw.

Some of the 7-blade trailer connectors have the reverse light circuit wired to one pin, so you could use that if it's suited to your purpose. Otherwise the 12v Aux circuit in that connector would be an option, but you'd need to add a switch somewhere.

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess I should have asked, are the lights going on the front bumper or the rear? If up front you should be able to use the stud (under the fusebox) for the trailer 12v auxiliary power. Look up trailer brake controller wiring on etrailer.com and there are videos showing where the studs are. I'd use the aux circuit, not the trailer brake circuit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu