Complete Trans Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I received the 10 feet of 3/8” tube late last night and was able to put it down my dipstick tube to extract roughly 4 liters of fluid until it started sucking more air than fluid...

View attachment 261060

Took about 10 minutes with this small compressor (was only able to run a continuous 25-30 psi) and the Capri Tools Vacuum Bleeder (make sure to use thread seal tape on compressor fittings). A closer view of the Vacuum Bleeder...

View attachment 261061
A closer look at the hose going into the dipstick tube...

View attachment 261062

Here’s the fluid I was able to extract this method...

View attachment 261063

Next I’ll be removing the trans cooling line and starting the engine (carefully not running the pump dry)and removing more fluid before dropping the pan.

The fluid looked good. No signs of problems such as a burnt smell and although it looks completely black in the pictures there is a good pink tint to it.
If you drain a small amount of old fluid into a glass jar you will see exactly how dark it is compared to the new fluid. I can see the brownish fluid on the side of your bucket which is exactly how mine was.

Last edited:

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would it make sense for an example I was to pump out 4qts and replace it with fresh trans fluid and drive for a couple of days and repeat till all the fluid looks good? would that get all the fluid?

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I don’t see why not. Although, I do think it’s important to drop the pan to change the filter and clean the magnet off and examine if you have larger shavings.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
would it make sense for an example I was to pump out 4qts and replace it with fresh trans fluid and drive for a couple of days and repeat till all the fluid looks good? would that get all the fluid?
If you have 12 qts and you pull 4 qts out, that’s 66% old / 33% new after the first swap. After the second 4 qt swap, you’ll have 44% / 56%, then 30%/70%.

After 12 qts you’ll be at about 70% new 4 qts at a time.

If you pull 6 qts each time, two steps gets you to 75% new while using 12 qts also.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the 4qts wasn't an exact number it was just to see if the concept of removing the old fluid and adding new would work for the transmission. I usually do that with the power steering just keep adding new and letting it run till its all good