Complete front end replacement/upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peezer123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade everything front end suspension wise, what all will I need and who’s the best company to use? It’s. 2005’ 2wd Tahoe 5.3

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to upgrade everything front end suspension wise, what all will I need and who’s the best company to use? It’s. 2005’ 2wd Tahoe 5.3
this is basically everything you need, great deal for the set, I have not heard any complaints, I guess it can really depend on what your looking to do and how much you want to spend.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/13pc-Front-Upper-Control-Arm-Lower-Ball-Joint-Tierod-Pitman-Idler-Arm-6Lug/152043044765?fits=Year:2005|Model:Tahoe&hash=item236678bf9d:g:vPkAAOSwiDFYQevv

just note the following
**Lower Ball Joints Fit STEEL Control Arms ONLY**
**PITMAN ARM IS 4 GROOVE**

Last edited:

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is relative. While you already are doing this, do you want to change your height? Do you want a firmer better handling ride? Do you want to upgrade for the long term? Are you on a budget?

Now I'm not trying to knock off detroitaxle, because frankly I don't know enough about them. I don't know if I am influenced by marketing, but I've always considered Moog, and Mevotech some of the better, more well-known companies. I know Moog has 3 different levels for most parts. There top of the line part is a redesign for a factory part. They may have found an easier way to install the part, fixed a weak point, or found a way for it to work better (such as better way to install a grease fitting). I also like energy suspension bushings.

Are you talking shocks too? Are you looking for a serious drop while you are doing this, with control arms, or steering knuckles? Is this a basic factory rebuild, are you going full out custom setup with coilovers, or something in between?

We have several vendors who can help, not sure how outdated there posts are. I like rockauto.com

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will speak from experience with both moog /ac delco parts and the cheap all in one kit.

I got a cheap all in one set from 1aauto for my Tahoe and had to replace tierods in about 6-9 months.

On my Denali I got all moog and ac delco parts along with tbss drop kit and new wheel hubs

The quality in parts is absolutely noticeable but so is the price. I spent upwards to 1500 on my Denali overhaul vs about 200 on the Tahoe. But the yukon is a much better ride and I dropped it and swapped shocks

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will speak from experience with both moog /ac delco parts and the cheap all in one kit.

I got a cheap all in one set from 1aauto for my Tahoe and had to replace tierods in about 6-9 months.

On my Denali I got all moog and ac delco parts along with tbss drop kit and new wheel hubs

The quality in parts is absolutely noticeable but so is the price. I spent upwards to 1500 on my Denali overhaul vs about 200 on the Tahoe. But the yukon is a much better ride and I dropped it and swapped shocks

Ive always looked at it as; With anything automotive, you are probably paying twice as much for a 10% better product, but that 10% could mean the difference between quick junk and a lifetime.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive always looked at it as; With anything automotive, you are probably paying twice as much for a 10% better product, but that 10% could mean the difference between quick junk and a lifetime.

Right!.... I think. Anyways I go for the tried and true. I'm not doing an all in 1 kit for 150ish it's not worth it to me knowing I'll have to do the job again.. I remember what the 1aauto parts looked like and when I got the moog and ac delco parts I had to double check to make sure I got the right parts and not parts for a HD truck or something. The quality and weight were night and day. I feel much more confident driving this stuff than the cheaper stuff

OP
OP
P

Peezer123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Right!.... I think. Anyways I go for the tried and true. I'm not doing an all in 1 kit for 150ish it's not worth it to me knowing I'll have to do the job again.. I remember what the 1aauto parts looked like and when I got the moog and ac delco parts I had to double check to make sure I got the right parts and not parts for a HD truck or something. The quality and weight were night and day. I feel much more confident driving this stuff than the cheaper stuff

OP
OP
P

Peezer123

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m going to go with the moog, would you guys suggest getting the complete Control arms or just get the kit and replace ball joints etc..?

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to go with the moog, would you guys suggest getting the complete Control arms or just get the kit and replace ball joints etc..?

Complete control arms. Pretty easy and it can't hurt to replace those bushings. And get an alignment.

Use ac delco for pitman arm and idler arm/bracket if you're doing those