Compare an '07 to '05

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an '05 Tahoe LT 5.3L. I liked it fine, but it didn't feel powerful enough for me. I had a CAI, Corsa Touring and Diablo canned tune, but still not enough. I also felt it handled a little less than precise.
I now wondering if I might feel differently for a '07 model. I like the look of the Tahoes, but the HP in the Denali/Escalae is drawing me in.
Anybody here had both and what differences did you like/dislike?

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from an '02 to an '09, so the comparison should be kind of similar.

I don't like the tranny (or, at least I don't like the software controlling the tranny) in my '09, but the rest of the truck is better in every way [than my '02].

Fit and finish is so much better. It doesn't feel nearly as cheap as my '02. And I think the overall design, in and out, is a nice improvement.

There's no denying that these things are heavy. It takes a lot to get these things moving and stopping. The '09 feels heavier than the '02, but it still has plenty of get up and go for me. (That being said, I have a Z06 that satisfies my need for speed, so I don't require the same acceleration in a Tahoe.) I think that the '09 could feel faster than the '02 if the tranny were programmed to behave differently.

I have no problem with the handling of the '09s. Again, these things are big and not meant to "handle" per se. I think my '09 actually handles better than my '02.

I hope this helps a bit.

OP
OP
mikeb33

mikeb33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Helps a bunch!
Before I had my Tahoe, I had a
07 Charger R/T with the 5.7L hemi, 350 HP. I really liked the seat of the pants acceleration, and sporty handling(for a 2 ton sedan). The 05 Tahoe was an understandable letdown in this department.
I guess I am hoping a newer Denali/Escalade will satisfy some of this need. I know it is a truck, but with 380 hp and 417 lb-ft of torque, 20" wheels and rack and pinion steering, I hope it will get me closed to that old feeling. I would probably drop it a couple inches too(not slammed).
Actually my dream truck would be an Tahoe LTD 2WD with the 6.2L and 6spd. I heard it was an option ion 08-09, but I cannot find one on Autotrader anywhere. Yes, brand new is out of my price range.

MIKE

Tonygxp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going from the nnbs with a 4spd trans (sierra 5.3) to a nnbs Tahoe with the 6spd i can absolutely agree the trans programming SUX in this thing. I had a friend that owns a reputable performance shop (Tune Time Performance, Toms River, in alot of Super Chevy & GM Hight Tech performance mags) tune the trans and what a difference.. Man efore and after it's like a different trans. no more of that lazy 2nd or 3rd gear from a turn barely on the throttle, it's always in the right gear now. Even wifey made a comment if i did something to the truck as the trans was her only complaint as well.

If you get one with the 4spd it should be faster then the older one. My 08' sierra (stock) was quicker than an 04 Silverado with exhaust & tune.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tony -- Can you shoot me a PM with more info about your tune? I'm outside of Philly and would gladly take a trip to Tom's River (assuming you're talking about NJ!) to get this thing sorted out. Thanks!!

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tony -- Can you shoot me a PM with more info about your tune? I'm outside of Philly and would gladly take a trip to Tom's River (assuming you're talking about NJ!) to get this thing sorted out. Thanks!!

Another option is the Black Bear tune.

rogersinsel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
going from the nnbs with a 4spd trans (sierra 5.3) to a nnbs Tahoe with the 6spd i can absolutely agree the trans programming SUX in this thing. I had a friend that owns a reputable performance shop (Tune Time Performance, Toms River, in alot of Super Chevy & GM Hight Tech performance mags) tune the trans and what a difference.. Man efore and after it's like a different trans. no more of that lazy 2nd or 3rd gear from a turn barely on the throttle, it's always in the right gear now. Even wifey made a comment if i did something to the truck as the trans was her only complaint as well.

If you get one with the 4spd it should be faster then the older one. My 08' sierra (stock) was quicker than an 04 Silverado with exhaust & tune.

I tell you, absolutely no problems with mine. It hits the right gear every time, is faster than the 4 speed and delivers better economy. IF you think an automatic is going to always know what you want to do, before you do, then select the right gear for your mood coming out of every corner you're nuts. The truck does appear to learn as it goes and more importantly I learned from it. You CANNOT drive a 6 speed with a 4 speed mentality. If you refuse to accept that, then take the bus.

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
A very quick and cheap fix for any tranny issues is a Black Bear tune. They can tune the engine and tranny to your specific needs.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tell you, absolutely no problems with mine. It hits the right gear every time, is faster than the 4 speed and delivers better economy. IF you think an automatic is going to always know what you want to do, before you do, then select the right gear for your mood coming out of every corner you're nuts. The truck does appear to learn as it goes and more importantly I learned from it. You CANNOT drive a 6 speed with a 4 speed mentality. If you refuse to accept that, then take the bus.

Roger -- I would never suggest that your tranny isn't as good as you say it is. I'll just say that I can't stand mine. It's downright dangerous at times. Never mind the herky-jerky acceleration, it's the surging and lunging it does that's a real problem.

You can see my tach bounce off of the 1000 mark to @ 1300 when I'm coning to a stop. On more of those occasions than not, the truck actually lunges forward. There's almost no way to feather the brake so that the truck doesn't come to a harsh stop. I thought I had a problem with my brakes until I noticed that the lunge forward coincided with the bounce in the tach. I've come close to rear-ending people a couple times because of it. It's bad, and I can't stand it.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally like the 05 better. I dont like the rack and pinon steering. Its seems real floaty. The redesigned front suspension rides better. The interior is nicer overall but I cant stand the new seats they are so hard. I like my 05 and dont want to give it up for a new one. Also don't get me started on the torque management and transmission programming on the new ones. I will agree with KMeloney it is dangerous. I have driven the new ones with both the 6spd and 4spd. There is so much torque management that just trying to accelerate and make a lane change becomes very dangerous. I would like to strangle the engineer that GM put in charge of these things. A 320HP truck should not feel like it has 200 HP when you need it the most. end rant! I personally don't like the new ones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thomase1269

Latest posts