Cold start hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SLE2013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All -

Not sure if anyone has experienced this, but when my truck sits overnight, the next day when I start it, it hesitates and almost chokes and starts up. It has always been one crank, it hasn't died on me yet... but when the truck is warmed up, it doesn't show the symptoms of hesitation while starting.

I already have changed the MAF sensor, thinking that was the issue, but still it happened the next day.

Took it for service yesterday and they did a computer upgrade and did an air induction service, but the next day, the hesitation and chocking like start still happend.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Truck is 2013 GMC Yulon SLE with 95K Miles on it.
Link to the start up -

Mark G.

OP
OP
SLE2013

SLE2013

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So... I added a fuel injector clear for high mileage car, and filled using tier1 gas station, and this morning, the hesitation did not happen. knock on wood, I hope this solved the issue.

Should had done this first before spending $400 through the dealer doing upgrades, AIS service, and changed out the MAF! dur.

bryank97

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2007 Tahoe does this! It hard to describe in anything but a video! I am going to try some tier1 gas station. The thing that gets me, my mom has a 2008 Suburban, it has never done this, and they buy whatever gas is cheapest. Granted hers has 70k miles, my Tahoe is 128K. Keep me posted if this comes back

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mark G and Bryan, what grade of fuel and brand do you regularly feed your trucks?

Mine's gotten used to Florida, with this cold weather it has stalled on its first remote start but runs fine afterwards! LOL Running E85 @ 66% alcohol content right now. Maybe that's it. Not sure what winter blend of Flex Fuel is.

SnowFish

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When is the last time you all changed your spark plugs & wires? 40-50 degrees is not a cold start.
-25 degrees F is a cold start.
2009 Yukon 5.3 139,000 miles. New sparkies, wires, thermostat, etc at 130,000. Turn the key, or press auto start, and go.
But please be polite to the machine. At least let the temperature gauge start to move before gently driving away. LOL!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what the hell is a Air Induction Service? is that some fancy new way to charge extra for a new air filter........

Scooty

Reaction score
I was having the same problem on my 08 when the cold weather came in. I cleaned the MAS and cleaned the throttle body and the cold weather starting problem stopped immediately. Starts and runs like it's brand new and it has 116k miles.