Cluster/Dash lights staying on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02hoebag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
00 5.3 Tahoe, Stock Electrical

I noticed a few days ago that my cluster and HVAC lighting is now on all the time. It doesn’t matter what position the headlight switch is at, or if the dome switch is on or off. I’ve even tried the 4x press that kills the Auto headlights. If I turn the ignition off, take key out and open the door, they shut off like they should, but the second I turn the ignition on they are on until stop.

I do want to also note that the dimmer wheel does dim them correctly as well. Ultimately I could just keep them dimmed during the day, but you know how it is, I just want to fix what’s going on.

Anyone seen this happen? Any ideas?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
00 5.3 Tahoe, Stock Electrical

I noticed a few days ago that my cluster and HVAC lighting is now on all the time. It doesn’t matter what position the headlight switch is at, or if the dome switch is on or off. I’ve even tried the 4x press that kills the Auto headlights. If I turn the ignition off, take key out and open the door, they shut off like they should, but the second I turn the ignition on they are on until stop.

I do want to also note that the dimmer wheel does dim them correctly as well. Ultimately I could just keep them dimmed during the day, but you know how it is, I just want to fix what’s going on.

Anyone seen this happen? Any ideas?

Are your headlights on, too?

OP
OP
02hoebag

02hoebag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Are your headlights on, too?

Yes, headlights go on and off when they should. With the master switch, and also are killed when they come on auto when switch is off and you 4x press the dome button. Everything seems to be working except for the dash lights always being on..

Everything I’ve searched is regarding the dash lights NOT coming on. I think it’s possessed.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Yes, headlights go on and off when they should. With the master switch, and also are killed when they come on auto when switch is off and you 4x press the dome button. Everything seems to be working except for the dash lights always being on..

Everything I’ve searched is regarding the dash lights NOT coming on. I think it’s possessed.

Tomorrow in the light of day, turn on the truck (I'm assuming your dash will light up), don't touch anything, and get out and see if the headlights are on.

I'm suspecting your ambient light sensor thinks it's always dark out. We've seen this before.

OP
OP
02hoebag

02hoebag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tomorrow in the light of day, turn on the truck (I'm assuming your dash will light up), don't touch anything, and get out and see if the headlights are on.

I'm suspecting your ambient light sensor thinks it's always dark out. We've seen this before.

I’ll give it a shot, but even following that concept, shouldn’t the dome override x4 shut dash lights off too? I thought it had always done that before along with the auto lights

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DamThatRiver24