Clunk noise in rear 04 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhorn0817

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going over speed bumps in my 04 Denali, when the rear hits I hear a clunk noise or poping type noise. Almost like blown shocks, But the shocks are only 1 year old replacements from Arnotts. What else should I check?

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Control arm bushing, sway bar end link. even at one year old I would still check the shocks. Try removing the shocks and with the rear end up on solid jack stands, then give it a good bouncing. it might help if someone was under the Denali and put their hand on every joint as you bounced. In the less than 20min it would take you to do this you could rule out a bunch of parts. Don't forget to check the exhaust piping too!

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the tire pressure in the spare tire gets too low, it can move around and make noise.

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
Control arm bushing, sway bar end link. even at one year old I would still check the shocks. Try removing the shocks and with the rear end up on solid jack stands, then give it a good bouncing. it might help if someone was under the Denali and put their hand on every joint as you bounced. In the less than 20min it would take you to do this you could rule out a bunch of parts. Don't forget to check the exhaust piping too!

^This right here. Except I would just check the bounce check while wheels on ground with someone down low listening. But ruling out all possibilities, is better then assuming and dumping money into something that may not help.

Big_D

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
mine does the same thing in my tahoe. im thinking its the control arm bushings because i can feel the rear isnt as tight as other GM suvs ive driven

OP
OP
M

mhorn0817

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the insight guys. I will try the bounce technique first and see if i come up with anything. Does anyone know where you can purchase a master bushing kit? Not looking for performance like energy bushings. Want to keep the nice ride.

OP
OP
M

mhorn0817

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tryed bouncing the rear of the truck and could not make the noise happen. i shook my exhaust and it made a little noise, basically at the exhaust tip hanger. the mount banging against the rubber hanger. Not sure if its 100% the noise im hearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts