Clogged Fuel Injector + Fuel Pump Fuse Chaos - (w/ Photos)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EnigmaMan

Reaction score
The write up of this article is to go over how to replace a fuel injector and help those that have to do so in the future to save them time, money and to be safe!

So about a month ago I got a check engine light for a generic code for the #2 cylinder misfire - which in the book it says could be Sparkplug, coil, injector etc.. So I replaced all 8 spark plugs and the code went away.

Last week it threw a new code P5609 which is for a Clogged injector on #2 cylinder. So I ordered the new AC Delco injector off amazon (offered free next day shipping! for $56) and began to get to work.

1. Put on safety glasses!! (You will know why later)
2. start the engine and pull the Fuel pump fuse and let the engine run out of gas. Guess what.. THERE ISN'T ONE! Below is the fuse block diagram

diagram.jpg

Here is the actual Fuse block
2014 GMC Yukon XL 4WD

fuseblock.jpg

Note: THERE ARE NO FUEL PUMP FUSES! I guess GM decided to create a fuel pump relay that is under the spare tire somewhere (TLDR) and thats where the magic happens.

So after doing some digging around on the internet I found this article..
http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/52qfq-chevrolet-avalanche-1500-lt-2008-chevy-avalanche.html

"check the fuses labeled, FSCM and ECM-IGN in the under hood fuse block, those are the ones that run the fuel pump. "

So after that I decided to test out the theory, started the engine and pulled the FSCM Fuse and after about 3 seconds the engine slowed down and stopped running. (which I assumed it ran out of fuel)

So I pulled off the retainer clips on the fuel injectors took out the 2 fuel rail bolts and popped up the fuel rail from the injectors and guess what BOOM Gas started flying out EVERYWHERE because the system was under pressure still! - Lucky the motor was not hot!!!

This is why I can not stress enough to get your self a cheap pair of $1.95 clear safety glasses from home depot or Harbor freight tool when working on vehicles - they have saved me a few times!

After the excitement wore down - pulled out the inejctor then put the new one in put everything back together and letting it sit overnight so all the gas can evaporate before attempting to start it back up!

If somebody can fill me in how to pull the fuel pump fuse or disable the relay in case I or somebody else in the future runs into this that would be great!!!

OP
OP
E

EnigmaMan

Reaction score
BTW, one thing to point out - the clips that hold the fuel rail to the injector are not available at Autozone, Advanced Auto parts or O'rileys. I had to order them off of Amazon and it was $10 for a set of 8.
I accidentally dropped one into the engine bay in which was gladly consumed somewhere between the motor and the firewall and did not fall though. As a result I was one short and thought it was an easy part to come by. So just be careful when you are holding the clips not to loose any!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove