Clock Spring Replaced Now No crank Dash is dead HELP PLEASE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
K

kingdom77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, but in my opinion, you gotta go back in there, even if you find nothing wrong. If you find something causing it without going back in, great. You did not answer my question. Did you have battery unhooked during this work?
Yes it was unhooked. I unhooked it and let it sit for 2 hours so I wouldn't have airbag issues

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You need to go thru every fuse you can find and make sure they are ALL ok. Also, check relays. Lots of times other relays in the box are the same as the one you are checking. So, you may have damage at the security system. So much back and forth and info forgotten and then remembered and and and, I am a little lost.

@89Suburban, you did this on purpose, didn't you? ;) :p:chewie:My 70th is coming up, but some days, I feel 80 already. Is there a pasture close by I can be put out to?

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to go thru every fuse you can find and make sure they are ALL ok. Also, check relays. Lots of times other relays in the box are the same as the one you are checking. So, you may have damage at the security system. So much back and forth and info forgotten and then remembered and and and, I am a little lost.

@89Suburban, you did this on purpose, didn't you? ;) :p:chewie:My 70th is coming up, but some days, I feel 80 already. Is there a pasture close by I can be put out to?

I know you know more about this gen than I do. Just trying to keep you going LOL.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I know you know more about this gen than I do. Just trying to keep you going LOL.
Some days I wish I owned a Toyota.

Remember recently, when I had my 05 for sale on here and I got lots of crap for what I was asking for it? I pulled it off because I decided to wait and see what I could find for a 3/4 ton 2000 to 2006 Suburban puller for a travel trailer that we plan to get. I did get a legitimate offer of $20k but I said no. I think my mechanic friend, that owns a shop here and lets me work in it after hours, really wants it and he will get first crack when I do sell it. After all, he will help me bring whatever Suburban I find, up to my standards. I did find an 04 that only had 94k miles on it with a 6.0L engine but it had wide 20" tires and a vibration up front and new wheels and tires would have been in the $1800 range and the discounted deal I worked out for $17500 was shut down by a higher up at the dealership. Oh well, the search continues.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Stud #1 is for the trailer; not necessary unless you are towing and need to send auxiliary power to the trailer.

RTD is ride control (green oval in graphic).

As @OR VietVet indicated, a thorough check of all other fuses is in order.

stud1.JPG

OP
OP
K

kingdom77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Stud #1 is for the trailer; not necessary unless you are towing and need to send auxiliary power to the trailer.

RTD is ride control (green oval in graphic).

As @OR VietVet indicated, a thorough check of all other fuses is in order.

View attachment 384027
Thank you
i went through with my fluke meter and checked each side of all the fuses and nothing blown. The radio clock will come on for a few seconds when I push the tuner knob, Also the dash security light will come on when I hit the remote so it's not completely dead. I have the battery disconnected and am going to go through everything I just did tomorrow. I'm in Montana and it's getting chilly. The OBD port has not communicated with a reader for years but has power but that has never been a issue. Prior to the clock spring replacement today it's been fine.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Really, good luck, but don't assume that everything you did when replacing the clock spring is ok as you disassemble. Assume there is a problem there and find it if it is in fact there.

Maybe, just maybe, a bad new part is causing problems instead.

If you still have the old part, install it and see if starts.

OP
OP
K

kingdom77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's a link to your owner's manual. It shows all the fuse locations.

There are several ignition-related fuses in the Instrument Panel Fuse Block:

View attachment 384032
Thanks I'll check them again in the morning before I tear everything back apart. What a nightmare. Was just trying to fix my daughters car for her and now I got a real mess going.

OP
OP
K

kingdom77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Really, good luck, but don't assume that everything you did when replacing the clock spring is ok as you disassemble. Assume there is a problem there and find it if it is in fact there.

Maybe, just maybe, a bad new part is causing problems instead.

If you still have the old part, install it and see if starts.
Went back into it yesterday and double checked all the connections. The one under the wheel wasn't all the way connected, As soon I as I saw it I knew. Put it all back together and started right up. Thank you for your help on this, My daughter is back on the road :oops:.

Shawn.