Clock Spring Replaced Now No crank Dash is dead HELP PLEASE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kingdom77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
I just swapped out the clock spring on my 04 denali and it seemed to go fine. Upon trying to start it after I hooked up the battery it was dead. Checked fuses and post one is blown. went a bought a new one and blew as soon as I installed. I replaced with the spring with GM part 26101829. Don't even know where to start now.
THank you

OP
OP
K

kingdom77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Which fuse is blowing?
I just read that's the auto ride. so thats obviously been blown. So I guess now the question is why is the dash dead. Dome lights come on, headlights won't, Ignition is unresponsive.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, blowing fuses repeatedly tells me you have a dead short to ground problem. First thing to do is go back and check your work. Make sure, if you disassemble again, that you don't spin that clock spring. I did check at RA and there are two choices for the clock spring assembly. One, that your 26101829 relates to, is for a vehicle that has "Electronic Accessories Control System" and part number 26094620 is for a vehicle that does not have that. You will want to see what RPO code that is on your rig, that would be RPO code UK3. If you did not have this problem before install, then the odds are that you did something during install to cause this. What that was? Hell I don't know. I do know that you gotta go back in there. I do also assume you had the battery unhooked during this replacement process but I have learned to stop assuming. Please post back what you find and pics if can.

OP
OP
K

kingdom77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had battery tested, Cleaned terminals, tried a different key, security light on dash comes on with remote as well as running lights, chime works when i put key in ignition, radio is dead.

OP
OP
K

kingdom77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, blowing fuses repeatedly tells me you have a dead short to ground problem. First thing to do is go back and check your work. Make sure, if you disassemble again, that you don't spin that clock spring. I did check at RA and there are two choices for the clock spring assembly. One, that your 26101829 relates to, is for a vehicle that has "Electronic Accessories Control System" and part number 26094620 is for a vehicle that does not have that. You will want to see what RPO code that is on your rig, that would be RPO code UK3. If you did not have this problem before install, then the odds are that you did something during install to cause this. What that was? Hell I don't know. I do know that you gotta go back in there. I do also assume you had the battery unhooked during this replacement process but I have learned to stop assuming. Please post back what you find and pics if can.
Hi,
yes I had the battery disconnected, I have the steering wheel controls, I called the dealer and gave them my VIN and that's the part number they gave me.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, but in my opinion, you gotta go back in there, even if you find nothing wrong. If you find something causing it without going back in, great. You did not answer my question. Did you have battery unhooked during this work?

OP
OP
K

kingdom77

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sorry also the fuse blowing I found out was the auto ride and that was a existing issue prior.