Claying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Air conditioned garage ok?
;)

I thought most people in New York didn't even have Air Conditioning LMFAO

I remember forty years ago when I lived in CT, most cars didn't come with a/c and not too many houses had Central air. But a Garage? Your' e Rocking Pete!!!

How's the project coming?

OP
OP
PG01

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its not, right now....After church and fixing my other brother inlaws mower i had to bring my daughter to softball and i just got home and cracked one open so I don't feel like it now. Will take pics when I eventually get to it. I hand some grand plans this weekend and nothing panned out for myself.... kids..... this is life

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm also in for an update :)

edit: There's the update ;), we posted at the same time hah

BMPNUGLS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone looking to do this in the future...get yourself one of these!

Nanoskin (AS-015) Autoscrub 7" x 7" Handy Towel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM62JC0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_U1TpzbDE24DQE

Same purpose as a clay bar with none of the negative aspects (such as if you drop it on the ground - wash it off and go back to town and no working the clay bar). And lasts virtually forever! I've done 4 vehicles with my one towel! Same process just substitute the towel for a clay bar!

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For anyone looking to do this in the future...get yourself one of these!

Nanoskin (AS-015) Autoscrub 7" x 7" Handy Towel https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM62JC0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_U1TpzbDE24DQE

Same purpose as a clay bar with none of the negative aspects (such as if you drop it on the ground - wash it off and go back to town and no working the clay bar). And lasts virtually forever! I've done 4 vehicles with my one towel! Same process just substitute the towel for a clay bar!

I just got one of those, I think its the AS-016. Lookin forward to using it, when I have time hah.

TxChevyz71

Reaction score
Well you could do like my neighbor down the street. This Guy has money obviously. Both he and his wife
have brand new Eskys and a Porsche. He knows I detail my own cars (I had never met the guy before, but he said he sees me in the driveway washing and working on my cars) and brought his 2017 Esky over to show me his handy work (4th of July weekend). Being the smart rich guy he is, he went down to an art supply store and bought some modeling clay and proceeded to clay his Esky. It marred and scratched the shit out of a 2017 black Esky ESV platinum. Doing this, he didn't even stop to think, this doesn't seem to be working and proceeded to pretty much do the whole vehicle. Both rear quarters, all doors front and hood and the lift gate. He didn't do the roof thank goodness, because he couldn't reach it. He mentioned he was gonna come ask me to borrow my platforms to do the roof.

He came down to ask me what I do to my vehicles to make them shine. He said he washed his Esky with
Dawn soap and clayed his car and now was all dull. Yep, it was definately dull, but I could see the visible
scratches. The Esky looked grey. He wanted to know what I used on my cars and if I could help him fix
it and make it look good again. I asked him to show me what he used. I go with him down to his house
and he proceeded to show me the products he used. That's when I discovered he used modeling clay.

I can't make this stuff up. and no I did not take any pictures..... I felt sorry for the dude. Obviously he's not a car guy.

Anyway, I washed that Esky, and re-clayed it , decontaminated with iron remover. I had to use a
Microfiber cutting pad with megs M105 to undo the marring and scratches on this Esky. (I had to go through a progression of pads to get to the microfiber, it was so bad I thought I was going to have to get out my
rotary with a wool pad) megs M205 followed with some Collinite 845. It looks good as new. I was afraid this
guy was gonna have to get it re-sprayed. It took me about 14 hours in 2 days to fix this Esky. Im not a professional detailer and I dont do this for a living, man it was alot of work

OP
OP
PG01

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well everyone, i finally got to claying, compounding polishing and waxing.... hatch and drivers side... not bad and everything you all told was exactly what it did and thanks everyone..heres a few pics, mostly after but a few before....

Before
IMG_5530.JPG
After
IMG_5538.JPG
Before
IMG_5543.JPG
After
IMG_5554.JPG
Hatch after(obviously)
IMG_5529.JPG

Hard to tell because my pics suck and it was kinda clean to begin with but there is def a nicer deeper blacker shine to this thing..., sorry and thanks again everyone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons