Clay bar , clay mitt or pad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TxChevyz71

Reaction score
So I have always used a clay bar by hand on my cars and had no issues.

I have read on some websites where people use a clay mitt or pad. I have seen a clay mitt used during the wash process.. Then I have seen where others use a clay mitt or pad on a DA polisher (like a separate clay step)

Seems like it would make the process alot faster.

I have seen one from Griots and another from Nanoskin. I was wondering if anyone had any experience using either? Does it work? Any issues?

Thanks

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always used just the clay bar and had no issues. Maybe @Bigbeardenali1992 will chime in with his daily go to. I know he is a big fan of Chemical Guys stuff, but not sure on his clay bar routine.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always do a separate clay step just because that's how I was trained to do it. I would imagine that one of those might make a seperate step unnecessary, but I've never used them so i couldnt advise on one of those. right now I'm currently using chemical guys clay block. It's pretty cool. One side looks like a foam applicator pad. Thas the side you hold, and the other side is almost like a rubbery surface almost. And that's the clay side. It works just like a clay bar, but you don't have to scrub anywhere near as tough to pick up all the crud. Makes claying a bit easier. Plus the really cool part is that it's not like a traditional clay where if you drop it, it's done. If you drop it, you can rinse the clay side off in cold water, and then keep going. Which is really handy cuz I'm kind of a clutz sometimes qnd drop clay bars often. Not a problem with the clay block from CG.

wade_660

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Get a nanoskin autoscrub. Will save tons of time and you can use it dozens of times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TxChevyz71

Reaction score
I went ahead and just bought both of the fine and medium nanoskin mitts.

I will report back when I get them.

Normally $50 I got them for $38 each.

So after reading.. it looks like I can just use soapy water? (would the CG honeydew car soap be ok?)

or would you recommend I use the lube?

OP
OP
T

TxChevyz71

Reaction score
I used the medium The Nanoskin clay mitt this past weekend on a neglected 2002 chevy silverado. Man, I

don't know why I ever waited this long to buy one of these things. Maybe it was the cost ($40) vs the cost of

a clay kit ($20) . I don't know, but what I do know, I shouldn't have waited this long....

It was so much easier and quick.

I washed the truck using Duragloss 902. Then grabbed the mitt and went to town using the suds as the lube.

I was able to do the whole truck in maybe 15 minutes....

This was on a black truck and I really didn't see any marring or anything. After drying the paint was

smooth as silk. (just like when I used clay and a whole bottle of clay lube) Normally when I'd clay this truck it

would take forever. Not to mention getting high off the quick detailer or lube when I had the garage closed.

I think it was so much better. I think my clay days are pretty much done!

16blkltz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! Now I just need to stop procrastinating and get me that Nanoskin clay mitt. :Stupid Me:

OP
OP
T

TxChevyz71

Reaction score
Yeah don't wait any longer, they simply work and saves alot of time!

I think the mitt or the towel and the sponge are all good to have. The sponge and the towel in addition to the Mitt would let you get those hard to reach areas like under door handles etc. Or thin areas on a pillar or getting around trim.

I didn't try the discs for a da polisher, as I don't think liquid and da polisher is a good idea for me. However everyone says it's even faster to use, but I would think it would leave marring.

What's sad is I have a ton of clay on the shelf .. I mean alot of clay that is just going to sit there... Pinnacle Ultra Poly, Megs, Mothers, 3M Optimum. As you needs differnt types of clay for different uses. Fine, Medium and Aggressive.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts