Cheap 04 Denali Overland Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gamzzz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I figured I would start a thread on any modifications I have done, and would like to do to my 04 Denali. I've been hoping to turn it into a nice SUV to take on camping trips and explore Arizona, and do some mild off-roading. Based off the tons of threads I've looked for on NBS Denalis, not many people off-road them and i'd like to show something different. As the title says I am a broke a** college student and can't afford much so I do my best with what I have. I purchased the truck the beginning of this year with 155k and so far have had a blast with it. It has its problems due to previous owners not taking of it, and its age and mileage so once school ends in the next month or so I will be going in on it to bring it back up to my comfort standards. I have replaced all fluids and there is a brand new radiator in there.

Short List of Mods:
265/70/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W
Black plastidip grill (not a fan of the cheap look, hoping to redo it but not sure what option yet)
Running Board Delete
Replaced fogs with Amber LED pods
Depo black headlight housing
Black turn signals
Straight piped the 6.0

I am hoping to do some more work on the exterior with lighting upgrades. The Autoride suspension is absolutely clapped out so I have looked at replacing it with Bilstein 5100 and Bilstein springs. But I don't think I know enough on the subject to do yet. So if anyone wants to put in their two sense I would appreciate it.

The interior has not been touched much other than replacing a window motor and removing the aftermarket Pioneer head unit. The unit did not have the correct harness for the Denali it seemed so I currently have just a Bluetooth speaker in there. There is also a problem regarding the seat motor, and heated seats not working in the front. I will address those when I get to them however.

I appreciate any questions, comments, or concerns Y'all may have! it all helps me build the truck up!
IMG_5059.JPG IMG_5235.JPG IMG_5190.JPG

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO the NBS Denali’s don’t look right without running boards, they tie the entire vehicle together front to back. Why did you delete them?

OP
OP
Gamzzz

Gamzzz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMO the NBS Denali’s don’t look right without running boards, they tie the entire vehicle together front to back. Why did you delete them?

Deleted them for the purpose of off-roading. They made the vehicle so much lower to the ground than I liked. I may put them back once I adjust suspension and it sits a little higher.

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
Sub'd → Curious to see what else you do. My Hoe went to the used car lot in the sky, so bought the wife a new car and I get to take over her 02 Denali. Always looking for mod ideas.

Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
Gamzzz

Gamzzz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Getting ready to install front hubs on both sides this Friday. Should be a "fun" little thing to do until summer starts and I start making more money to do the Bilstein swap. Still don't know what keys I want though. Ready for this thing to take me on many trips in the hot AZ desert haha. :fishing1:

OP
OP
Gamzzz

Gamzzz

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I changed out the front hubs yesterday. There was way too much play in them. No more noises coming from the front. Took only a few hours. Now I have discovered an awful scraping noise coming from the rear so i checked it out today and turns out the brake pad clips are scraping against the outside edge of the rotors. I am probably going to replace the clips for new ones and hope to fix the issue before bigger issues happen. School is almost out baby, lets get it!

IMG_5364.JPG

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree about the running boards. But I also see your point about off roading and ground clearance as well. Following your build and your IG account as well! Haha

Last edited:

tgui

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pure rice. Slap a wing and stickers on it why doncha!

jk, looks good. I like the look without running boards personally.