Changing sway bar links

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good video, for future reference if you are doing both sides you can jack up the front so both wheels are off the ground at the same time, then disconnect both end links, this takes the force off of the sway bar and no pry bar is needed at all (makes for a very easy job), no need to remove the wheels although it does make more room if you do not want to get under the truck

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If replacing them, cutting is always an option.

1A does a video for these IIRC. They too had to take an alternate route from the usual lefty loosey right tighty...

This is an upcoming job for me. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
George Owens

George Owens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea
good video, for future reference if you are doing both sides you can jack up the front so both wheels are off the ground at the same time, then disconnect both end links, this takes the force off of the sway bar and no pry bar is needed at all (makes for a very easy job), no need to remove the wheels although it does make more room if you do not want to get under the truck
I did the other side today went and got a dremel very handy and cut the spacer

Derick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any item to note.... At least on my burb when I did the links, I had to smash 2 of the bushings in a vice for a few minutes before install. The shank was long enough to use, but not without some help beforehand. I used moog.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great video George! Just did mine last week with my youngest helper assisting too. We used the factory ones, torqued to 17 ft lbs and then put the wheels back on and lowered it as per instructions. Tried to do one side on the ramps against the instructions but could not get enough clearance to slip new link between control arm and bar, not strong enough to move it anymore.

If that stuck bolt were ours, would have hit it with PB Blaster and then a few minutes later with a mallet to break it loose.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced both of mine with Moogs the other day, as well as the bushings. Super easy as long as you have both of the front wheels off the ground. Remove both links rather than trying to install one while the other is still hooked up. That way you can move the sway bar around easily by hand, no need for a pry bar.

I also didn’t need to cut the spacers or anything. I think I just hit them from the side with a crescent wrench and they popped right out.

jyi786

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine 2 weeks ago on my 2012 Denali XL. Did not lift the truck; did it right on the ground. The only thing I did was to turn the wheels so that it exposed the sway bar links from the rear. Gave me plenty of clearance to get it done without lifting the truck. Very easy job.

The hardest part by far was knocking the old ones off, which were beat to hell and fused in odd ways. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz