Changed battery in 15 Tahoe keyfob, now won't work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

justkell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
When I got in my 2015 Tahoe this morning it said the battery was low in the key fob. I bought new batteries and replaced them in both keyfobs. Little did I know replacing the batteries would erase the programming to the truck. Any vehicle I've owned that's never happened when changing the batteries.

So I read the manual and followed the steps to reprogram the remotes when there are no recognized remotes. I got to the part where it said it was ready to program remote #1 and put it in the center console port to program and after that nothing happened. I sat in the truck for 20 minutes and nothing ever came up saying it was programmed and ready for the next remote.

What am I doing wrong?

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Neither of your key fobs work now, correct?

My understanding is that you need one working to program another one.
(I am SO GLAD I have an SSV...:) )

A new transmitter can be
programmed to the vehicle when
there is one recognized transmitter.

To program, the vehicle must be off
and all transmitters, both currently
recognized
and new, must be
with you.
1. Remove the key from the
recognized transmitter.

OP
OP
J

justkell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for this. There is a part in the manual where it tells you how to program the key fobs when none are recognized, which are the steps that I have been taking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo