Change "center dome light" for something flush mounted.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone removed the bulbous dome light in favor of something flatter?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha you said bulbous. Haven't heard that word in awhile. Anyway, mines pretty damn flat. Got a picture of your bulbous one?

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Offhand I don't. It's the one that has the REAR A/C knob. I have no use for REAR AC controls, so I'd like to find a flush dome light. I'm putting in an overhead rifle rack, so I need the ceiling space.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe you can just eliminate those controls. You might want to unplug them and drive around for awhile to see what happens, and also disconnect your battery for awhile and plug it back in and see if anything weird happens. I believe when the system recalibrates and doesn't see rear controls it might default to a full on rear heat situation or something. Hard to say, I've never heard of someone removing the controls. But regardless, you'd have to retrofit a light from a different vehicle onto a custom made panel.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same controls over the driver too. But I can put it on a setting that gives that panel control. I figured on just unplugging it and hiding the cable in the headliner. I may go visit a junk yard and see if any of them have a dome light without the controls. I wasn't even sure if that was an option.

And it's only rear AC, no heat.

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Two shots of the one I want to replace
9b07a1789cbac3900c932949445a53e6.jpg
f4e80b9598d758d329d8cca09f786343.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand what you're talking about after you mentioned eliminating the HVAC control. It's not the dome light itself you have a problem with since it's flush like I was saying. It's the housing that holds the HVAC controls and the done light. Maybe you could get a done light from the very rear of a wrecked truck and fab a plate instead of the housing since there will be a large hole in the headliner. Those dome lights mount super flush. Have you pulled the housing out to see what's behind it?

OP
OP
TURNz

TURNz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I knew I would eventually be doing this so I looked before I put the cage in. I remember it being a smaller hole than I thought it would be, but I don't exactly recall. I have to unbolt the cage to pull it down again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts