Change "center dome light" for something flush mounted.

Discussion in 'Interior' started by TURNz, Apr 27, 2018.

1. TURNz

TURNz Full Access Member

Name:
    Josh
    Has anyone removed the bulbous dome light in favor of something flatter?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Sometimes A Dumbass Supporting Member

Name:
    Mark
    Haha you said bulbous. Haven't heard that word in awhile. Anyway, mines pretty damn flat. Got a picture of your bulbous one?

Galante likes this.
  3. TURNz

TURNz Full Access Member

Name:
    Josh
    Offhand I don't. It's the one that has the REAR A/C knob. I have no use for REAR AC controls, so I'd like to find a flush dome light. I'm putting in an overhead rifle rack, so I need the ceiling space.

4. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    I don't believe you can just eliminate those controls. You might want to unplug them and drive around for awhile to see what happens, and also disconnect your battery for awhile and plug it back in and see if anything weird happens. I believe when the system recalibrates and doesn't see rear controls it might default to a full on rear heat situation or something. Hard to say, I've never heard of someone removing the controls. But regardless, you'd have to retrofit a light from a different vehicle onto a custom made panel.

Galante likes this.
  5. TURNz

TURNz Full Access Member

Name:
    Josh
    I have the same controls over the driver too. But I can put it on a setting that gives that panel control. I figured on just unplugging it and hiding the cable in the headliner. I may go visit a junk yard and see if any of them have a dome light without the controls. I wasn't even sure if that was an option.

And it's only rear AC, no heat.

6. TURNz

TURNz Full Access Member

Name:
    Josh
    Two shots of the one I want to replace[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

7. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    I understand what you're talking about after you mentioned eliminating the HVAC control. It's not the dome light itself you have a problem with since it's flush like I was saying. It's the housing that holds the HVAC controls and the done light. Maybe you could get a done light from the very rear of a wrecked truck and fab a plate instead of the housing since there will be a large hole in the headliner. Those dome lights mount super flush. Have you pulled the housing out to see what's behind it?

8. TURNz

TURNz Full Access Member

Name:
    Josh
    I knew I would eventually be doing this so I looked before I put the cage in. I remember it being a smaller hole than I thought it would be, but I don't exactly recall. I have to unbolt the cage to pull it down again.

Rocket Man likes this.
  9. M1Gunner

M1Gunner Full Access Member

Name:
    Jason
    Unfortunately, when you unplug/disconnect the rear overhead hvac controls it will render the system useless. rear AND front if I remember correctly.

Rocket Man and Galante like this.