Centre Console Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigIan279

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Denali which comes as standard with a "cooler" in the center console - which is great and is activated by a push button switch.

The problem I face is that I have to remember to switch the cooler on every time I want the "cooler" to work, this is especially frustrating when I'm on a road trip when I stop the car to sightsee etc. I have to remember to push the switch again every time I get back in the car.

Is there a way of "reverse wiring" the push switch so that it is "on" everytime the ignition is on and "off" when the switch is pushed.

That way the cooler will be on all the time - which is what I want as I only use it for drinks as it gets pretty hot here in Abu Dhabi and I'm getting bored of hot "cold" drinks.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To make a short story long...

On my Dodge Ram truck with overdrive, you would have to hit the O/D "off" every time you started the truck, if you wanted it off. (It's ******* the trans to have it in overdrive in lower speed traffic, like in the city). So, someone came up with an overdrive "invert" mod. Here's how it works- you wire up a relay to your O/D switch, the relay normally open contacts. Wire up the relay coil to ground and the +12 to the start circuit off of your ignition. When you go and crank your truck, the relay is energized while cranking. This acts as though you are holding down the O/D switch while cranking. The truck starts, O/D is off but the switch acts normally after that, you can switch it off and on at will.

That said, I have no idea how this would work in your Denali (I have an SLE). With all of the circuit-grounding and BCM-controlling, good luck. The first step would be to activate the cooler switch while starting your vehicle, then release. Does it turn on? Then, we can go from there. If not, yes, you may have to look at something else.

Sorry for being so (un)helpful.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should say that it was a '99 truck, though it worked up through '01.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2017 Denali which comes as standard with a "cooler" in the center console - which is great and is activated by a push button switch.

The problem I face is that I have to remember to switch the cooler on every time I want the "cooler" to work, this is especially frustrating when I'm on a road trip when I stop the car to sightsee etc. I have to remember to push the switch again every time I get back in the car.

Is there a way of "reverse wiring" the push switch so that it is "on" everytime the ignition is on and "off" when the switch is pushed.

That way the cooler will be on all the time - which is what I want as I only use it for drinks as it gets pretty hot here in Abu Dhabi and I'm getting bored of hot "cold" drinks.

interesting. Thats standard in the denali? I have a 16 and its not there...Must have been a 2017 change?

MidwestMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would start by wiring it from scratch. Power it through a fused circuit that is run by a relay that is controlled by the ignition. (just pick it up from any accessory that comes on with the ignition).

Throw an on/off switch in on the relay side for when you want to turn the thing off,
but it will come on every time you start the vehicle.

OP
OP
BigIan279

BigIan279

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
And, in another thread he said GCC trim or level or some such. Export type?

All the cars I looked at over this part of the world are GCC Spec.

Meaning - "Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC), a political and economic alliance of six Middle Eastern countries—Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Bahrain, and Oman."

Apart from having the "OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR" msg on the door mirror in Arabic, I don't know how they differ from the North American specs but guess they have a bigger A/C cooler.

OP
OP
BigIan279

BigIan279

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
interesting. That's standard in the denali? I have a 16 and its not there...Must have been a 2017 change?

I was told by the dealer that the change from the "filing storage" config of the Center Console was 2017 onwards. I'm not even sure exactly how the "cooling" is done. I pretty sure it doesn't have a separate A/C chilling feed.

The Drivers Manual says "The cooled compartment will keep cold liquids cold, but is not intended to chill warm liquids. Do not use for items that need to be refrigerated."

So it may have an A/C takeoff valve or just a fan, either way, it doesn't chill very much especially when it turns off everytime the ignition is off and I forget to switch it back on. :(

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure it just cools through the peltier effect, with a small, regular electric fan. No extra AC stuff running to it. So, it could be just re-wired like MidwestMike suggested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645