Central rear view mirror out of order.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
Hi,

Since I owned this '03 Tahoe, I never figured out if the inside rear view mirror with the dimming feature worked or not.
Always looked a little bit dark for me.

SI today I pushed for a few seconds both switchtes (Temp &Comp) And finally saw a "Z1" on the display. Tried to "log out" and only did chang for "Z2" or else.

Now, my display has a small "Calc" lit up, and the compass is out of order displaying SW when I'm going SE.

Any idear how to set this up and eventually fix it up ?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have your manual? It will explain how to fix it. Z1,2,3,4 are different zones for calculating the compass.

Let me search real quick and see if I can find it on here...

Vette66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start the engine.
Press and hold the switch for the compass, which may be depicted as COMP, COMPASS, or On/Off (w/UE1) depending on the type of mirror on the vehicle, until the letter "C" or "CAL" is displayed.
Drive the vehicle in circles at a speed of less than 8 km/h (5 mph) until the "C" or "CAL" is replaced by a proper vehicle heading. The calibration procedure is now complete.
Compass Magnetic Variation Adjustment
Magnetic variation adjustments are required when the compass displays a constant error in heading. Variation is the difference between magnetic north and true north due to geographical location.

I think this is what I did cause mine was weird in the beginning.

Zones
compass_variance.gif

The compass in your truck allows you to set the variance between magnetic north and true north, depending upon your location in North America. The mirror is set in zone eight upon leaving the factory. It will be necessary to adjust the compass to compensate for compass variance if you live outside zone eight. Under certain circumstances, as during a long distance cross-country trip, it will be necessary to adjust for compass variance. If you do not adjust your compass to account for compass variance, your compass can give false readings. To adjust for compass variance, do the following:

Use the COMP button located at the bottom of the mirror.
Press and hold the COMP button for three seconds until a zone number appears in the display.
Find your current location on the map provided on this web page.
Press the COMP button on the bottom of the mirror until the new zone number appears in the display. After you stop pressing the button in, the display will show a compass direction within a few seconds.

Last edited:

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start the engine.
Press and hold the switch for the compass, which may be depicted as COMP, COMPASS, or On/Off (w/UE1) depending on the type of mirror on the vehicle, until the letter "C" or "CAL" is displayed.
Drive the vehicle in circles at a speed of less than 8 km/h (5 mph) until the "C" or "CAL" is replaced by a proper vehicle heading. The calibration procedure is now complete.
Compass Magnetic Variation Adjustment
Magnetic variation adjustments are required when the compass displays a constant error in heading. Variation is the difference between magnetic north and true north due to geographical location.

I think this is what I did cause mine was weird in the beginning.

Zones
compass_variance.gif

The compass in your truck allows you to set the variance between magnetic north and true north, depending upon your location in North America. The mirror is set in zone eight upon leaving the factory. It will be necessary to adjust the compass to compensate for compass variance if you live outside zone eight. Under certain circumstances, as during a long distance cross-country trip, it will be necessary to adjust for compass variance. If you do not adjust your compass to account for compass variance, your compass can give false readings. To adjust for compass variance, do the following:

Use the COMP button located at the bottom of the mirror.
Press and hold the COMP button for three seconds until a zone number appears in the display.
Find your current location on the map provided on this web page.
Press the COMP button on the bottom of the mirror until the new zone number appears in the display. After you stop pressing the button in, the display will show a compass direction within a few seconds.

Took the words right out of my mouth!! lol Do exactly as mentioned and you should be good to go.....and going in the right direction! :beer:

Vette66

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should but also check your manual if you have one. They may have specific zones for Europe also. I could not imagine drive such a gas hog in France I would assume you get lots of dirty looks. Lol

OP
OP
Tom Joad

Tom Joad

French V8 lover.
Reaction score
It should but also check your manual if you have one. They may have specific zones for Europe also. I could not imagine drive such a gas hog in France I would assume you get lots of dirty looks. Lol

In fact people doesn't care. Fenchmen and women are so dumb theses days they don't even know what a Tahoe is.
Since GM withdraw the Chevrolet brand form the country, in few years they will even have forgotten what a Chevrolet is.

You remember the scandal about the movie about muslim that lead to the ****** of the american ambassador in Lybia?
Few days after the scandal, a guy from my Automotive Club went to his daughters school to bring them back home. A mother of other child told him he should be ashamed to drive his american car in such days. :disgust:

American car lovers will ask you questions and always are kind, but most of the people here doesn't care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts