Catch Can - Valve Pictures at 54k mi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WingsAA

CMFIC
Reaction score
Hey guys. I wanted to share some information on the beloved catch can topic... nothing scientific just a real-world sample.
So I put an Elite Engineering E2-X catch can on my 2016 L86 Yukon XL Denali when I bought it new... can went on around 300miles in. I did not install the clean side separator. I used Mobil1 0w20 Annual Performance and M1-113A filter... changed the oil and filter every 4k miles (don't flame me for wasting money). I've recently switched over to Amsoil Signature full synthetic 0w20 and Amsoil filter as well. Should also note, I've been running a tune and have had DOD disabled from day 1.

Okay, details out of the way, I took my intake manifold off this past weekend as the curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to see what the valves looked like. Behold the results. Note, the valves got cleaner as you worked you way to the rear of the engine. I should confirm, I'm right at 54,500 miles. Curious what you all think. Just wanted to share this use case from a vehicle that has basically had a can on it from the start as the only owner. I was pretty tired from the gymnastics session in and out of the engine bay so apologies the pictures aren't professional. was having trouble holding a light, my phone and not end up falling out on to the garage floor :)

20200920_145502.jpg 20200920_153738.jpg 20200920_153745.jpg 20200920_153753.jpg 20200920_153759.jpg

Last edited:

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
I did the same experiment on the first catch can I bought and had similar results as you. I have then changed out the catch can to the RacerX catch can with an oil separator and hope to get better results.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Love seeing tests with real-world results like this. I'm surprised It's so dirty in there, especially with such a nice can.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to see what the valves looked like on a similar vintage and mileage without a catch can.

This is one reason Ford introduced two sets of injectors on their Ecoboost, one set for direct injection, the other before the valves. One of the main reasons for this is that there is no safe way to clean the valves on an Ecoboost without tearing the engine apart. At least on ours we can run some cleaner through the intake to clean that stuff up if necessary.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2018 DI v6 has a built in catch can. The 2015-2017 did not and the oil problem was bad.

I wonder if the newer 5.3 and 6.2 got a built in catch can?

it’s in the valley on the v6.

I need to install my catch can on my 2015 but I want to get the valves and intake ports blasted and cleaned first

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the 2018 DI V6 "catch can" really keeps valves cleaner. It might, but I think it would be for a different reason. The valley is going to be hot and not let much oil vapour condense like the external catch can will. It's almost like GM wants the oil vapour to remain hot so that it does not condense until it gets to the combustion chamber where it will be burned and the remaining hydrocarbons cleaned up by the catalytic converter.

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The interesting thing was that the engineers that came onto the Colorado forums made a point to call it an “air oil separator” and making an aftermarket aos not needed.

I have not taken it apart, and faintly remember seeing the engineering drawings and it looking like it would work.
But until I pop the intake manifold or stick a long camera in, who knows

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14