Cap question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no electronics whiz so I'll ask you guys, I have a cap that has a digital display, I've hooked it up to my distro block and grounded it at the same place I grounded my amp, about 12 inches away with 0 guage cable. My question is, is my voltage display and LED supposed to be on all the time?? It doesn't seem to shut off at all ... ever. I don't want to come out in the AM and have a dead Optima battery issue ... there is no remote on switch on this cap like I thought there would be ... and like some of the instructions I've seen mention.

97loudho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
imo caps are a waste of money a good ** alt and big 3 should be good what type of system are you running?

OP
OP
retorq

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if anyone is curious the cap shuts itself off after a while, like 5 mins after the truck being 'off' ... and it turns itself back 'on' after starting the truck. It must sense the voltage change and act accordingly.

I'm running the stock alternator for my truck which I was told was a high output already, never had it tested or checked. I have new ground and main power wires. I'll be running an upgraded alternator wire this weekend when I finish up the rest of this system.

I'm running twin DVC AudioBahn 10inchers in a bandpass enclosure with a class d monoblock 2500 watt amp. They are wired down to 1 ohm. I'm putting in a new head unit at the same time ... I have upgraded front door speakers and I'll swap those in a few weeks.

xX Mavr1ck Xx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not too big of a fan for caps. But sounds like your doing the big 3 which is better than a cap imo. Also looks like you have a pretty decent build going, would love to see pics of your progress! =D

OP
OP
retorq

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys that say a cap is "junk" are you running dual batteries or something like that??

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stephen,

I really wouldn't classify them as junk. What they do is basically store extra power or energy for sudden burst of current pulls in your system. So they help, then as the need lowers, the original battery 'recharges' it.

But they work, but if you really have current requirements, add a bigegr alt and a second battery. Similar, a second battery will hold that extra you'll need, when you hammer on your system.

If the amp does 2500@1ohm, and you fall below 12.5v, you really dont have 2500 watts. Power will drop off drastically.

97loudho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i would check out deka intimidator batteries the g31s run about 200 a piece one under the hood and one in the back close to the amp all connected with 0ga cable would be more then enough electrical to supply your amp. there is also kinetic and xs power but they are a bit more expensive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yukon DRL