cant get my lift keys in...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
So I am doing it... the lowering kit is coming off. I am tired of paying to have my truck aligned all the time and burning through tires. So instead of bringing it to stock, I am going to put a leveling kit on her. It is a Z71 afterall.

Now for the problem... The Modified C-Clamp that I used to get the stock keys off, and the lowering keys on is not working so well to get the lift keys on. I cant seem to get enough torque on the keys and the C-Clamp wants to **** sideways before I can get the key up high enough to put the bracket back in place.

has anyone run into this problem? I am using a massively BEAST C-Clamp too BTW. The truck now sits on jack stands in my garage because I had to give up for the night. My arm is in too much pain from torquing on that thing for an hour.

Any thoughts?

MeanGreen03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me it was easier to take off the lower ball joint, slide the new key in, then jack up the lower arm.

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
how did you brace the rest of the truck up while you were doing this? I currently have the truck sitting on the jack at the front and two jack stands at either side... I do not have the jack free to jack the lower arm up....

MeanGreen03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put two jack stands on both front sides so the front end was up in the air and the rear was still on the ground. You shouldn't need the jack in the front.

Also, you might try diconnecting the shocks off of the bottom arms to let it fall more then try your clamp at the keys. That would be the easiest way without disconnecting the lower bj.

Last edited:

jESse

i like cheese
Reaction score
i'd imagine autozone has the proper tool for the job available to borrow so you can do it right and a little more safe

MeanGreen03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also If you want a little more height in the front for free swap your torsion bars from side to side. I tried that on mine to get rid of the chevy lean while still staying low and it raised me up 1-2" in the front.

Reaction score
they have a specific c clamp type tool specifically for lift keys..rough country sells it on there website to get an idea..i did mine without it but it was a pain to get the new ones back in..got em in with a regular c clamp eventually and ended up with a bent c clamp in the end

OP
OP
tybardy

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
Got the job done. Not to bad... still a little to raked. Now I am on the search for a new wheel/tire setup. I did not swap the torsion bars over, so maybe I will give that a shot next weekend. I used a gear puller to get the keys in and a coil spring compressor to get the rear coils in.

All this without a broken arm (you old school TYFers know what Iam talking about)

Its a shame 295/65/20 rubber is so GD pricey!

Attachments

• truck-up.jpg
    truck-up.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 19

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401