Can you off road in a Yukon SLE without 4WD??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kwells

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone taken a Yukon out on dirt roads without 4 wheel drive? We just bought a 2016 Yukon SLE but previously had a Jeep wrangler. We made the change to fit our growing family (4 kids, two with car seats) but didn’t have the budget to be picky for the AT4 and went with what we found used, in condition and the right price. We’re less worried about fun off roading and more so curious if we can continue to use some simple dirt roads out in the AZ desert around our house (we like to avoid traffic jams and take the unpaved alternate routes we know about). Obviously we won’t have as much fun taking the dirt roads in this vehicle as we did with a wrangler and will need to avoid the mud without 4WD but curious if anyone has regularly used this vehicle on an easy going off road scenario? Don’t want to ruin the thing right after buying it or break down with little kids.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

ss4chad

Reaction score
A little common sense will get you just about anywhere you want to go, but make sure COMMON sense is applied!

I had a 2002 Chevy Silverado, Single Cab, 2WD Full Size with an 8ft bed, lowered on 20's with a stroked 383. I would drive up to Mammoth Mtn in California to go snowboarding and it would be a white out driving up to the Mtn from Bishop. I would have my chains on and stop in Mammoth at one of the Skier pickup areas, get 2 or 3 skiers/snowboarders in the back of the truck and go all the way to the top!! Driving about 5-10 mph in front of Lifted Trucks, Jeeps, 4WD SUV's and Snowmobiles following closely behind but I never stopped!!
I would grab a parking spot and get out and people would say "DUUUDE, I was waiting for you to get stuck or slide off the road but you stayed planted! Freakin unreal man!!"
Fun times!

Chad

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've taken my 99 Silverado 2wd several times off road, because that's all I had at the time. It's certainly capable, just need to know the limits. Mine has the G80, which I would say is absolutely required...not sure how an open differential would do, probably not too good.

I guess if the cross-slope is not bad, you should be fine with an open diff.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taken a Yukon out on dirt roads without 4 wheel drive? We just bought a 2016 Yukon SLE but previously had a Jeep wrangler. We made the change to fit our growing family (4 kids, two with car seats) but didn’t have the budget to be picky for the AT4 and went with what we found used, in condition and the right price. We’re less worried about fun off roading and more so curious if we can continue to use some simple dirt roads out in the AZ desert around our house (we like to avoid traffic jams and take the unpaved alternate routes we know about). Obviously we won’t have as much fun taking the dirt roads in this vehicle as we did with a wrangler and will need to avoid the mud without 4WD but curious if anyone has regularly used this vehicle on an easy going off road scenario? Don’t want to ruin the thing right after buying it or break down with little kids.
You can drive anything you want on a dirt road. Getting back might be the challenge. Check out Matts Off Road Recovery channel on YouTube. He’s rescued many Priuses, Honda Accords, 2WD pickups, etc. from the desert roads in UT and AZ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike65