Can someone with a 2022 Tahoe video their tilt adjust steering wheel in motion?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got my Tahoe in to the dealer to fix a slew of issues along with a retrofit as well as recall. One issue is that my tilt adjust steering wheel makes a weird noise when moving in and out compared to the up and down movement. When moving up and down, you hear the motor running, but it's normal sounding (only way I can put it), but then when you move it in and out, it's a much different noise and sounds louder but also seems to vibrate more. It's not right and it's something I know I would have noticed immediately when I first moved the steering column into position, but the dealer is telling me is perfectly normal and they've even compared to another Tahoe on the lot. I just don't buy it. I've never had another vehicle where the motor sounds different moving up and down vs in and out.

Anyone care to take a video of their 2022 steering wheel being adjusted up and down and in and out to compare the noise?

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was able to get a video of this so I could post. Motor when moving up and down sound normal to me. Moving the steering column inward is when the louder motor noise happens. It's not quite as loud moving outward, but still louder than up and down.

Is anyone else's 2022 like this?

Crabby

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2022 is quiet compared to your's. Sounds like time to visit the wonderful world of the dealership.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know ours does not sound like that, I cant even hear it for the most part. I think you may need to have the dealer check it out.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good luck with that, unless it's broke I highly doubt gm will even look sideways at it
but you might get lucky and maybe they will lube it or something

greg_tahoe84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was able to get a video of this so I could post. Motor when moving up and down sound normal to me. Moving the steering column inward is when the louder motor noise happens. It's not quite as loud moving outward, but still louder than up and down.

Is anyone else's 2022 like this?
Sounds like the steering column needs to be replaced. Take it to the dealer.

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2022 is quiet compared to your's. Sounds like time to visit the wonderful world of the dealership.

I know ours does not sound like that, I cant even hear it for the most part. I think you may need to have the dealer check it out.

good luck with that, unless it's broke I highly doubt gm will even look sideways at it
but you might get lucky and maybe they will lube it or something

Sounds like the steering column needs to be replaced. Take it to the dealer.

Funny... it just got back from the dealer where I told them about this (they had it for 13 days total for this and other things) and they said this sound was normal and they even compared to a different model on the lot and it does the exact same thing. Thus far, I've been less than impressed with this vehicle and the dealership's attentiveness to fixing things

If anyone could possibly take a video of their 2022 so I can show them that this is in fact not normal, I'd appreciate it. As it is, their best supervisor checked it out from what I'm told and if they think it's normal, I'm not sure what my other options are.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny... it just got back from the dealer where I told them about this (they had it for 13 days total for this and other things) and they said this sound was normal and they even compared to a different model on the lot and it does the exact same thing. Thus far, I've been less than impressed with this vehicle and the dealership's attentiveness to fixing things

If anyone could possibly take a video of their 2022 so I can show them that this is in fact not normal, I'd appreciate it. As it is, their best supervisor checked it out from what I'm told and if they think it's normal, I'm not sure what my other options are.
your options are limited, even legally. It works as designed and that is the argument, yes it's noisy but generally people are not sitting there adjusting it back and forth all day like it's some toy to play with. My 12 has power adjust just like that telescoping and all, I set it with the memory setting and never touched it since.

OP
OP
T

tahoe81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
your options are limited, even legally. It works as designed and that is the argument, yes it's noisy but generally people are not sitting there adjusting it back and forth all day like it's some toy to play with. My 12 has power adjust just like that telescoping and all, I set it with the memory setting and never touched it since.

You're not wrong and I'm the same. But it's the fact that I paid $65k for a brand new vehicle that's not even a year old yet and something isn't right on it. If something does go wrong with it in a couple years as a result of not fixing this issue, then it will be out of warranty and I'll be stuck with a huge bill.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're not wrong and I'm the same. But it's the fact that I paid $65k for a brand new vehicle that's not even a year old yet and something isn't right on it. If something does go wrong with it in a couple years as a result of not fixing this issue, then it will be out of warranty and I'll be stuck with a huge bill.
the problem here is that it is not a "defect" per say, there is nothing in any literature or vehicle specification that states the steering column motor will not make noise.
if the one they showed you on the lot made the same noise then that right there kind of makes it tough because even if they caved and replaced it there is no guarantee that the replacement would not make the exact same noise. Also even if you paid out of pocket to have it replaced there is still no guarantee that it will not make noise.
I don't think you will have much luck either way unfortunately.
personally if it really pissed me off I would figure out a way to break it without any evidence and then go back and say hey it's not working, lol still no promise it would come back quiet though :shrug:
the gmt900's all have cracked dash's a very widely known and well documented issue and very visual defect and GM has not lifted a finger about it
other options are trade it in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons