Can I wire in dash cam from double power source?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Doubeleive How would I wire that up in the fuse box??

The three position switch has three terminal pins.

So, accessory power to one pin, constant power to another terminal pin… What connects to the middle terminal pin?

View attachment 386841
I am not familiar with that particular switch but I would assume the center pin is output in which case the camera power lead would go there and the camera ground would go directly to the body
you may also want to put a 5a fuse on each power lead as a safety precaution

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not familiar with that particular switch but I would assume the center pin is output in which case the camera power lead would go there and the camera ground would go directly to the body
you may also want to put a 5a fuse on each power lead as a safety precaution
Good call. I was thinking 10 amp fuses since my fuse block tap pigtails have a built in fuse slot, and was concerned that one of the positions on the switch is rated for only 6 amps, but I’ll swap those out for 5 amp instead.

Would that be okay?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good call. I was thinking 10 amp fuses since my fuse block tap pigtails have a built in fuse slot, and was concerned that one of the positions on the switch is rated for only 6 amps, but I’ll swap those out for 5 amp instead.

Would that be okay?
it depends on the draw from the camera which probably isn't much but if for some reason a 5a is not enough bump up to a 10a but I think 5a is probably more than enough

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In January 2022 I installed a hardwire kit for my dash camera, that uses both full time power source for the parking mode as well as a switched power source for normal mode. I used 2 fuse taps in the driver's side fuse panel. Been working fine since.

Last edited:

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of a camera? Often times I've seen that cameras, if purchased with the HARDWIRE KIT, already have both full time power and ignition powered feeds available, even though the same camera will be incapable of doing as such when using the included cigarette plug adapter.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of a camera? Often times I've seen that cameras, if purchased with the HARDWIRE KIT, already have both full time power and ignition powered feeds available, even though the same camera will be incapable of doing as such when using the included cigarette plug adapter.
some camera's are designed like that for "parking mode" so it can record if it detects a impact while technically off, it automatically switches modes when the key is off.
mine is a kenwood drv-830 and ca-dr100 hardwire kit, nobody has them here they have to be ordered from the uk or japan
dashcam's are much more popular in other countries

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some camera's are designed like that for "parking mode" so it can record if it detects a impact while technically off, it automatically switches modes when the key is off.
mine is a kenwood drv-830 and ca-dr100 hardwire kit, nobody has them here they have to be ordered from the uk or japan
dashcam's are much more popular in other countries

I have the REDTIGER F7N with hardwire kit. Installed since January 2022.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

My cam is a Vantrue N2… I do have a hardwire kit fit it, and will look into whether it’s already designed that way. Good call.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My cam is a Vantrue N2… I do have a hardwire kit fit it, and will look into whether it’s already designed that way. Good call.

This doesn't have 2 leads for both power sources, alludes to connecting to full time power for parking surveillance or switched if you don't want to use parking surveillance.

I don't really see the point in installing a 3 way switch at all. Just connect a switch from constant +12 volts and leave it at that. If you have a rocker switch for what reason would you need that switched ignition power source?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt