Can I turbo my stock 2010 Tahoe 5.3L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious of what it takes to do this. I currently have a BB tune and that’s it. I’d love to have a low boost turbo kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can turbo anything with enough money and time. finding out if your engine is healthy enough for boost and how much its going to cost you is your first steps.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious of what it takes to do this. I currently have a BB tune and that’s it. I’d love to have a low boost turbo kit.

What’s going to be available in the budget after you install the turbo to deal with the domino effects of the weak links you’ll find?

OP
OP
chilleblanco36

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My engine has 145k miles and has been maintained very well. Tranny services at 100k as it should. Truck is driven very mildly. I’ll be doing all the work myself. Just wondering if I had to delete the afm and all that before hand?

Me and my buddy build turbo mustangs all the time. Currently working on a twin turbo coyote in a 2005 Mustang GT. This is my first Chevy that I’ve owned for about 5 years now. My other Chevy is a 2007 C6Z.

Just unfamiliar territory for me with these 5.3L engines.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not the engine that you have to worry about. The stock bottom end is well-known to hold ~800HP all day long and plenty are hitting 1,000. I've never thought of it, but I'm betting you could keep AFM assuming it's in top working order. I'd shut it off in the tune, though. You're fortunate to have the 6L80. With careful trans tuning, I'm betting you could safely put 10 lbs. on it. If yours is FlexFuel, you won't need injectors if you run 93 octane E0-E10.

OP
OP
chilleblanco36

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had the AFM disabled since day one after reading about it here. First I used the plug in to disable. Now it’s disabled in the tune.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not the engine that you have to worry about. The stock bottom end is well-known to hold ~800HP all day long and plenty are hitting 1,000. I've never thought of it, but I'm betting you could keep AFM assuming it's in top working order. I'd shut it off in the tune, though. You're fortunate to have the 6L80. With careful trans tuning, I'm betting you could safely put 10 lbs. on it. If yours is FlexFuel, you won't need injectors if you run 93 octane E0-E10.

I disagree on the injectors.

With H/C/I/E .........at 5900 rpm I was damn near 100% duty cycle on the OEM 38# flexfuel injectors(this was on a 93 octane); that was at 360 wheel on the dyno. I have since upgraded to the OEM 50# flexfuel injectors from an L96/6.0

OP
OP
chilleblanco36

chilleblanco36

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Note taken. It appears after a test on all cylinders, possibly upgrade fuel pump, and upgrade injectors, I could run 10 psi or less. I’d be good with 6-8. No real reason for wanting to go boosted except for the cool factor and being different.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne