Can I re-use my oil pan gasket.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The gasket is about 6months old with 10k miles on it when I changed it back in October. It seems like it is relatively new so I wouldn’t be a big deal as long as I rtv the cover corners. I was just seeing if this is possible to do in order to save some money when I drop the pan to clean lifter pieces out of it.

OP
OP
mdmcinti

mdmcinti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valve cover gasket yes.

oh okay. I think I should be fine then. I know if my truck leaks more oil than it already does from the rear cover gasket. I know I will need to do the pan again.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
While it is said that depending on the application of a gasket and how it is made up can allow for reuse of a gasket at times, I would never ever reuse a gasket or seal. The savings is not enough to justify it IMO but of course it is your call.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it funny where people choose to try and save money while working on their vehicles.

Let’s see.....we’re talking about a $30-$40 item, right? I tell people that there is some money that I can’t afford to save, and this would be some of that money, in my opinion. When you figure the amount of effort required to put a new one in should the reused gasket fail, in addition to the cost of the new oil you will need to buy since you’ll need to drain the pan to fix it should it fail (assuming you don’t reuse the oil since it’s only got 1000 miles on it:confused:), I can’t see the benefits of reusing the gasket out weighting the potential downside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leno1364

Latest posts