Can I put a 2013 6l80 into my 08 Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks swathdiver, I appreciate it!!!

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I looked for that other book too, nothing found.

I used a combo of my FSM and the ATSG 6l80 shop manual to do mine.
Not much on the converter setback that talks about the 6l80 directly, but the set back depth is pretty standard among transmissions.
on my build thread:
""
Converter setback spec, I converted to decimal for ease of my brain using feeler gauges and my caliper...
3/16 max = .187
1/8 min = .125

Setback measured = .143
I could tighten this a little, but it's pretty much perfect.
So, I'm running it.
""

I rebuilt my transmission and replaced the pump with a brand new unit.
Not fun since it seems you can't just buy a complete unit.
And there are selective pump rotors and slides... lol

Remaining tidbits found by spending hours watching and searching for videos on youtube. :jester:
Most confusing thing was setting the clutch clearances, so little information about the selective snap rings.

I even did a little snap ring mixing and matching to get the other clutch packs within spec.
Since I was replacing the 1-2-3-4/reverse drum proactively (plus I saw lots of wear where the steels ride), I had some leftovers.

Even the new factory "loaded" drum was on the looser end of the spec...
In the end I pretty much did my best to match those clearances to the rest of the transmission.

I found this manual that looks neat,
I did a google image search for that manual, and found a site that had some sample pages listed.
Not bad, and if I were to do it again I would probably pick it up.
(I saved it in a "wish list" just incase I get to do this again :jester: )

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
Oh yeah, there are some pump improvements in the late 08 manufacture date of the 6l80.
My tahoe is 2009.

My transmission showed as being manufactured in late December of 2008, and it had the improvements.
there is also an improved style of clutch pistons that won't crack as easily as the older units.

I probably wouldn't think twice about going to a later unit.
Just understand the possible valve body differences.
And don't get rid of your old transmission until your 100% sure everything is working.

Worst case, you take your old techm and rebuild the pressure switches and reinstall it.
worser case, new techm and have it programmed by the dealer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne