Can I just swap stock bulbs for LED?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
O

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put LED's in my stock housings on my 2014 Denali
A few years ago I did the stock type bulb upgrade = like the silverstars
or whatever they are called now. I did like them and they put out way more
light than stock bulbs... Unfortunately they died in about 6 months
And its a pita to replace these.. So I went with the LEDS.. I looked for
the lowest # color that I could find - 5000... The 5500+ are so white/blue
that you will not get any "useable" light from them.
I did as Joseph said and purchased the better bulbs that can be adjusted...
Now, I didn't have to adjust mine at all once in... but I read many people do
Don't buy the cheapo $50 ones on amazon.. Look for the better one.. about $80+ per pair
Do you have any weird light casting issues or is the illumination line fairly usable?

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're able to, do a projector retrofit with leds. Makes a world of difference

OP
OP
O

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The led xmas tree style bulbs can be made to fit. The light output is increased at the expense of other drivers getting all the glare that spills out from the reflectors designed for incandescent bulbs.

HID bulbs are the only option that can be hacked into using the existing reflector housings. It’s really just a decision on whether you’re willing to join all of the other drivers who think it’s hilarious the led aftermarket bulbs blind oncoming traffic.

The new DOT approved units that are already assembled do their job since their engineered to not spray light at other drivers

View attachment 420306

If you're able to, do a projector retrofit with leds. Makes a world of difference
How do you do a retrofit and what components do you use?

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you do a retrofit and what components do you use?
There's a bunch of videos but long story short use a heat gun to separate the lens from the housing. Screw in a projector reseal light and install. They're led projectors on amazon that screw in.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These LEDs fit right into the stock housings with no modifications at all.
Just noticed, the Yukon light connection locations are slightly different than the Tahoe.

Not an issue for the OP, but maybe for Avalanche/Suburban/Tahoe owners..

Will get some to test out!

Last edited:

wilcfr

Reaction score
Yes as far as know they are a straight up replacement. I have them in my Explorer Express, but I'm swaping them out for HIDs. I've used both and the HIDs are way better though more complicated to install. Prices now a days is not that much different. HIDs used to be expensive, but they come way down in price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar