Can I just swap stock bulbs for LED?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to swap my stock halogen lights for LED Lights. I also have the stock housings. Can this be done simply by using the included driver plug and play kits or is modification necessary for them to work properly?

08 Yukon XL Denali.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The led xmas tree style bulbs can be made to fit. The light output is increased at the expense of other drivers getting all the glare that spills out from the reflectors designed for incandescent bulbs.

HID bulbs are the only option that can be hacked into using the existing reflector housings. It’s really just a decision on whether you’re willing to join all of the other drivers who think it’s hilarious the led aftermarket bulbs blind oncoming traffic.

The new DOT approved units that are already assembled do their job since their engineered to not spray light at other drivers

E6ABE27B-7103-4C37-9005-EC462F37A455.jpeg

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it's not merely that I can't find an LED light with a color temp UNDER 5000K?
It's ALSO that the bulbs don't cooperate with the housings?

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every article I see says they will work in projectors, but won't be well focused or have a good cutoff in reflectors.
Also, there is very little space behind the headlight housing, so you need to check if it will fit.

However, I feel like there have been some newer designs since most of those articles were written.
The factory reflector does have a glare shield? 'cup' that should block any direct stray light.
With this newer thin (1-2 mm thick) LED placement, they should more closely match the original filament location, perhaps I'm being overly optimistic.

Currently I'm considering HID's for low beams and LED's for high beams. But would prefer LED lows if they can get an acceptable cutoff...

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Bottom line is that ALL aftermarket pop in led automotive headlamp systems are not DOT approved. That makes it really hard to sell and back a decent design and product that isn’t at risk of being seized or destroyed by US Customs. They are all made overseas and imported as anything EXCEPT US automotive headlamps.

The current aftermarket DOT approved round and rectangular LED headlamps made to replace sealed beam units from pre 90’s vehicles are amazing for their color, output and cutoff.

For the automotive led revolution to begin they need to engineer a bulb and/or housing that mimics how the light exits a halogen or hid bulb. The person or company that pulls that off will be mighty rich.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like it's been 20+ years since LED's for general lighting started blowing up.. still just more LED's arranged in different patterns and arrays..
(Well I'm sure there are advances I just don't know about or understand)
But they need some sort of special fiber optic than can replace the filament or something...

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to swap my stock halogen lights for LED Lights. I also have the stock housings. Can this be done simply by using the included driver plug and play kits or is modification necessary for them to work properly?

08 Yukon XL Denali.
I have LED headlights in my 07 Yukon XL Denali, and since your truck is an NNBS like mine, I believe that they will work for you as well. They are plug and play. Just make sure that you get an adjustable LED, meaning that you can rotate the LED center stick within its outer connection assembly, so that you can get the proper light beam alignment. If adjusted properly after installation, you will not blind oncoming drivers.

I used GTR Ultra 2 LED headlights, and while they are expensive, they are guaranteed for life. They made a very serious improvement to my front lighting.

OP
OP
O

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have LED headlights in my 07 Yukon XL Denali, and since your truck is an NNBS like mine, I believe that they will work for you as well. They are plug and play. Just make sure that you get an adjustable LED, meaning that you can rotate the LED center stick within its outer connection assembly, so that you can get the proper light beam alignment. If adjusted properly after installation, you will not blind oncoming drivers.

I used GTR Ultra 2 LED headlights, and while they are expensive, they are guaranteed for life. They made a very serious improvement to my front lighting.
Did you just use these in your stock housings?

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put LED's in my stock housings on my 2014 Denali
A few years ago I did the stock type bulb upgrade = like the silverstars
or whatever they are called now. I did like them and they put out way more
light than stock bulbs... Unfortunately they died in about 6 months
And its a pita to replace these.. So I went with the LEDS.. I looked for
the lowest # color that I could find - 5000... The 5500+ are so white/blue
that you will not get any "useable" light from them.
I did as Joseph said and purchased the better bulbs that can be adjusted...
Now, I didn't have to adjust mine at all once in... but I read many people do
Don't buy the cheapo $50 ones on amazon.. Look for the better one.. about $80+ per pair

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar