**Can anyone please help rear brake leaking**

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

23sonthetahoe

Reaction score
Hi I tried to fix my leaking rear brake caliper 01 Tahoe 4x4 . I only put one crush washer on banjo bolt is reason for leak and it must be on the outside of the fitting and im missing the inside one. I know this because now I cant get the banjo bolt even out of the caliper housing at all . The bolt seems like its 5 miles long but at the end and its just spinning in the housing still tight in there though and so im guessing the crush washer is stuck on other side. The washer i missed is on the other side of banjo bolt. Its in my condo parking stall as soon as I start backing off bolt the entire brake fluid system comes pissing out . Worst spot to be doing this .Why is there so much fluid pressure ? What do i do to get this bolt out without more fluid coming out I dont hv an impact here. Open bleeders on other brakes ?

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems to me like you stripped the threads in the caliper by making it way to tight. the washer is like less then a 1/8 inch thick, and you put one on both sides of the line to the caliper, one under the head of the bolt, the other on the treads to the caliper, no way it pushed through to the inside of anything.

if you got some vise grips lock em on long ways and pull on the bolt as you turn it. it might come out.

chances are you need a new caliper if the threads are stripped out.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a small pail i use to catch draining fluids, put it under the caliper let it rip. i also work in my friends really nice drive way, so i grab up cardboard boxes from the local dumpsters here and break them down to lay on and be a extra layer of protection from leaks hitting the ground directly. and you slide on it so much nicer if getting under the truck too. with it there you dont need to be so careful. nice to know im covered if i have a spill tho.

OP
OP
23sonthetahoe

23sonthetahoe

Reaction score
I guess hey its a brand new caliper under warranty . Last one exploded one of the pistons..

OP
OP
23sonthetahoe

23sonthetahoe

Reaction score
The thing I dont get is pressure and amount of brake fluid coming out once i get that brake line started to back off. As much as the master cylinder holds was on the ground in two attempts of quickly having it undone. Ive had break lines off before they never leaked out all the fluid that quick

OP
OP
23sonthetahoe

23sonthetahoe

Reaction score
The bolt is backed right out of the caliper threads the crush washer is hung up from being torqued down. Vice are totally the ways to go for that though it happened another yime but i was in a garage and i was able to take my wheel off makes it way easier. What i cant figure out is why so much fluid coming out and fast

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924