Camshaft Bearings

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SixTwoTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I plan on doing a 220/232 .600/.600 113+6 VVT cam swap on my L9H Tahoe with 169,000 miles on it. Should I replace the cam bearings while I'm doing the work or is it a "if they look ok, you can leave them alone" situation?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I plan on doing a 220/232 .600/.600 113+6 VVT cam swap on my L9H Tahoe with 169,000 miles on it. Should I replace the cam bearings while I'm doing the work or is it a "if they look ok, you can leave them alone" situation?

Welcome Logan, if they look fine you can leave them, replacing them requires engine removal if memory serves. Tell us about your unicorn, when did you get it and is it a RWD or 4WD?

OP
OP
SixTwoTahoe

SixTwoTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok thanks, now hopefully they look ok. The tahoe is 4WD. So for my story, I always liked the look of the Tahoe over its siblings and when I found out they offered it with a 6.2 for one year I knew that was the one to get. I started looking online and found a couple but they weren't my first choice in color and they were usually really far away. I started looking for Silverados instead because I could find a lot more with the 6.2 and almost went and looked at one. But then my Tahoe showed up at the dealership i work at as a trade in. It was spec'd exactly how I wanted so i bought it immediately. I really couldn't have been any luckier.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok thanks, now hopefully they look ok. The tahoe is 4WD. So for my story, I always liked the look of the Tahoe over its siblings and when I found out they offered it with a 6.2 for one year I knew that was the one to get. I started looking online and found a couple but they weren't my first choice in color and they were usually really far away. I started looking for Silverados instead because I could find a lot more with the 6.2 and almost went and looked at one. But then my Tahoe showed up at the dealership i work at as a trade in. It was spec'd exactly how I wanted so i bought it immediately. I really couldn't have been any luckier.

That's cool. We have a few threads going where fellas post links to ones they find for sale. There's a couple of guys on here who have them too. We've found 49 2008 6.2 RWD Tahoes as well.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your oil pressure is good now then it should be fine. Replacing them requires rotating assembly removal.

Condition of them will really be hit or miss. My 12 6.2L with 180k miles didn’t look too bad when I deleted the AFM but my uncles 08 5.3L looked like crap. We were short on time and put it together anyway and he’s put 10k on it so far.

Is that cam you’re doing the Texas Speed Stage 1? I was considering throwing a Gwatney Stage 1 in the 12 (didn’t know about them when I did the AFM delete) but I don’t know if I want to pay for another retune.

OP
OP
SixTwoTahoe

SixTwoTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That's cool. We have a few threads going where fellas post links to ones they find for sale. There's a couple of guys on here who have them too. We've found 49 2008 6.2 RWD Tahoes as well.
Oh wow I didn't know there actually were 08s too. I heard the 6.2 was an option starting mid year 08 but I never was able to find any.

OP
OP
SixTwoTahoe

SixTwoTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If your oil pressure is good now then it should be fine. Replacing them requires rotating assembly removal.

Condition of them will really be hit or miss. My 12 6.2L with 180k miles didn’t look too bad when I deleted the AFM but my uncles 08 5.3L looked like crap. We were short on time and put it together anyway and he’s put 10k on it so far.

Is that cam you’re doing the Texas Speed Stage 1? I was considering throwing a Gwatney Stage 1 in the 12 (didn’t know about them when I did the AFM delete) but I don’t know if I want to pay for another retune.
Yeah my oil pressure seams about perfect so hopefully it'll be fine. I had to do the bearings on my girlfriends 03 Silverado with 280k on it because the third one spun. I managed it without taking the crank out with some assistance but it really sucked. It is a Texas Speed cam, stage 2. I just got the Autocal V3 from Black Bear so I'm going to do a stock tune for a while until I get the parts for the cam swap

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh wow I didn't know there actually were 08s too. I heard the 6.2 was an option starting mid year 08 but I never was able to find any.

Hard to find when there are so few, all were built at the Janesville plant and all were RWD only. Here's another rare bird, a 2010 Yukon XL SLT with your L9H motor, 36 found so far, only 1 was RWD.

OP
OP
SixTwoTahoe

SixTwoTahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hard to find when there are so few, all were built at the Janesville plant and all were RWD only. Here's another rare bird, a 2010 Yukon XL SLT with your L9H motor, 36 found so far, only 1 was RWD.
I dont know a lot about the Yukons, was it the L9H as opposed to an L92 or L94 that made it rare or the fact that it wasn't a Denali?