Cam/headers for 5.3 build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

liftednali

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I am looking to build up my 2012 Yukon 5.3 a bit. I have been out of the LS engines for a few years now so I am super fresh. I am not looking to make crazy power but more as just to sound good.

This will be my daily driver, is it annoying to daily drive something with cams? will it be too loud in the cabin or drone?

I am looking at the BTR stage 2 cam kit as I want to run as much stock components as possible, I will get upgraded trunion arms as I hear that is recommended to do.

I am debating on whether or not to also upgrade the headers, pros and cons to this? Is it mainly just for more air flow and louder sound?

For exhaust I will most likely do a muffler delete at the rear to a straight pipe 3-4" tip.

Does doing these mods require a tune or is it recommended to get a tune to make sure everything works well together?

Any guidance is appreciated!

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your insight, what are your thoughts on headers? Should I stay stock or go with some aftermarket ones?

All depends on how much noise bothers you. The HP improvement will be good with headers but you will pick up some valve train noise due to the thin material the headers are made out of instead of the thick cast manifolds from the factory. Plus the exhaust will be substantially louder. If you do headers I would not cut out the rear muffler until after you have heard the exhaust with the headers.

OP
OP
L

liftednali

Reaction score
All depends on how much noise bothers you. The HP improvement will be good with headers but you will pick up some valve train noise due to the thin material the headers are made out of instead of the thick cast manifolds from the factory. Plus the exhaust will be substantially louder. If you do headers I would not cut out the rear muffler until after you have heard the exhaust with the headers.
For sure, definitely not a crazy amount of noise. I've been used to a V8 Mercedes with muffler delete which doesn't have crazy drone or idle, you mainly really hear it when getting on it. After you saying that I am leaning towards the cam, tune and muffler delete, I think that will put me in a good place.

OP
OP
L

liftednali

Reaction score
I will also have to do the DOD delete too right? I believe this Yukon is equipped with it.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will also have to do the DOD delete too right? I believe this Yukon is equipped with it.

I think skipping the headers is a good idea from the start, somedays I wish I had left factory manifolds and is a major reason why I'm leaning towards a turbo in the future.

For the DOD I'm not up to spec on anything gen4 so someone else will have the chime in on that.

JDopirak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gibson ceramic coated shorty headers , 212/218 texas speed cam, new rockers with Michigan motorsports truinon upgrade, texas speed hardened pushrods and 243 prc ported heads. And I will say you hear alot of exhaust pinging/valve train noise with headers. Almost sounds like an exhaust leak. "Yes I have double and triple check for leaks plus I had two friends also check there are none" now I think mine is bad because I have shortys and the collector ends where the opening of the wheel well is. I think if I had long tubes it would move the sounds down underneath the truck and I'd hear less but this is just a guess. There are some days it drives me up a wall hearing all that extra noise. So if your a person who is sensitive to extra noises like I am I'd suggest staying with stock manifolds.