Calling any 6l80e experts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clg88

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forum
I have a question about 6l80e repair & improvement.
I have a new to me 09 Yukon XL. The 6l80e is in pieces on my bench for a rebuild, and I will install a valve body kit at the same time.
I'm wondering if anyone has experience building or modifying these transmissions who could weigh in.
I am looking at both the Sonnax Zip Kit and the Transgo Shift Kit.
Is one preferred over the other & why?
Thanks

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to do just the zip kit and a new aftermarket torque converter... but
then I decided to add a supercharger, so I went with the cirlce D stage 4 kit with all the
upgraded hard parts...
I think for regular use, the zip kit and a new TC is the way to go.. Remember, the OE
torque conv has a real crappy lock up clutch in it.. Go aftermarket HD that will have
a decent clutch in it or you'll be back into it real soon

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transgo usually has a few bits to fix specific weak points that sonnax doesn’t include in their kits, but not sure about their stuff for the 6L80. When I rebuilt a ZF 5HP24 on my bench a few years ago, I bought a complete master banner kit from I forget who, plus a few bits from Sonnax and a few bits from Transgo to get the perfect setup.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New to the forum
I have a question about 6l80e repair & improvement.
I have a new to me 09 Yukon XL. The 6l80e is in pieces on my bench for a rebuild, and I will install a valve body kit at the same time.
I'm wondering if anyone has experience building or modifying these transmissions who could weigh in.
I am looking at both the Sonnax Zip Kit and the Transgo Shift Kit.
Is one preferred over the other & why?
Thanks

Dorman TECHMs, at least a few years ago, had a very high faulty rate. Stick with GM OE if replacing the whole thing. Alternatively, you can rebuild it on your kitchen table with this kit:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving recommendations and perspectives from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read through the documentation on the 6l80e on the sonnax website.
Lots of information about fixes, known issues, etc.

I did a mix of Sonnax and Transgo on my valve body when i first got the hoe.
Get the ac delco screen kit, sonnax valve body check balls (they don't shrink like the oem).
And i added the sonnax endplug kit for good measure.

I also rebuilt my techm, i found the pressure switches were on their way out.
Sonnax has a tool that was very helpful.
The transgo shiftkit also had spare laminates and seals, it was a little bit of trial and error and found the spare set to be very handy... lol

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of my favorite new subscriptions. The guy knows his stuff.

My only wish is to see him dig into a Nissan RE5R05A (Armada/Titan) and see how it compares to a 4L60 or 6L80. My Armada is a stock 2005, and it shifted better than my 2014 Yukon 6L80, even after the Blackbear tune.

I wish he went into detail about what he does for "Fixes" and assembly.
Seemed like people had to pry information out of him for a simple thing like a pwm block off in the 4l60. :jester:

but the disassembly videos are very interesting.
It's also nice to see what types of tools he uses, especially when it's a custom tool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons