Cab Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add pretty sure a few things were different between 00-02 and 03-06...such as cluster, interior lights (floors, glove box) and a few other things. Probably a different swap from a 01 to another 01.
I didn’t catch the swap was between 01-03. The ENTIRE electrical system changed in 03. It went from a non-LAN system to a LAN one. Nothing in an 01 including computers, cluster, etc will work in an 03. I know this from harsh reality when looking for things like instrument clusters, folding mirrors, door switches etc, Everything for an 03 has to come from 03-06 and everything for an 01 has to come from an 00-02. Even stuff like the headlight switch is different. I recently forgot and bought a headlight switch that had the indicator light telling you when the low beams are on. The plug in the back is completely different because it’s an 04 and mine is an 02.

This means that you would need to swap over every single electrical item including harnesses, modules, switches etc. I don’t even know if it’s possible.

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'd be better off swapping the driveline into the rust free vehicle. You could swap the carpet/door panels and any manual seats, but any power seats would have to be sourced from an 03-06 vehicle. You'd also have to use the 03-06 wiring when you swap the engine, so another tune on the 03 PCM. You've got some work ahead of you no matter which way you look at it. I'd think the driveline swap would be the better way to go due to the wiring on the vehicle though.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you'd be better off swapping the driveline into the rust free vehicle. You could swap the carpet/door panels and any manual seats, but any power seats would have to be sourced from an 03-06 vehicle. You'd also have to use the 03-06 wiring when you swap the engine, so another tune on the 03 PCM. You've got some work ahead of you no matter which way you look at it. I'd think the driveline swap would be the better way to go due to the wiring on the vehicle though.
You must mean drivetrain?

drdave81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, I should have said powertrain lol. Engine, trans, axles, the whole shebang. He said everything was built, so he'd want it all to go.

OP
OP
D

DylanJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It sounds like swapping an engine, tranny, transfer case, is your best option. Than you can swap over the interior as well. But its still quite a job!
I know it’s a job, but will be worth it when it’s rust free.

Fjs0001

Reaction score
My friend did this between two full size Broncos and it was a PITA.

I think you'd be miles ahead buying another used Tahoe and selling your old one, or saving it for parts. But if you have a lot of free time on your hands then I'd say go for it.

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
To add pretty sure a few things were different between 00-02 and 03-06...such as cluster, interior lights (floors, glove box) and a few other things. Probably a different swap from a 01 to another 01.
X2
It’s my understanding that there were significant electrical differences between ‘02 and ‘03 so if you go that route I believe you’re going to want to commit to swapping nearly everything electrical due to both the differences and the anti-theft communications in the system.

DIsney

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I have a few questions on about a cab swap. I just recently picked up a 2001 Tahoe which has no rust but needs a paint job and my current 2003 tahoe has rusted out rockers, roof where roof racks were, rust at quarter panels, wheel arches, ac drip location, everywhere just about. I was just wonder if I could just pick up the body and swap them over and will everything work in theory? Also what do all I need to disconnect for this to work?
My Yukon is body swapped. The body is a 2001 Yukon SLT 4x4 and the frame is a 2003 Tahoe 2WD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grooter8824

Latest posts