Buying Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a HUGE stickler on suspension. I have an 08 and my wife has a 12 both have Auto Ride, 22" wheels with Michelin Defenders, 2/3 drop. My 08 drives much smoother than the 12 (I've replaced upper and lower control arms, front springs (because of sagging), rear shocks, and rear springs on both. The 10+ front door panels are cheap, creaky, and break often compared to the 07-09 panels. The floor covering for the second row seats is just carpet thrown over them in the later ones. I also think the seats are more comfortable in the early ones.

Did you run the same part numbers on each with regards to suspension components?

I knew about the door panels and agree that the older ones are nicer. Not aware of the perceived feel of difference as I have no frame of reference as you do. My wife though wants a newer one than mine because she is put off by the age they are getting now. I'd rather have an '09 Denali than a later one because of the engine and give up the software enhancements like Hill Start Assist and the cruise control updates and such.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Did you run the same part numbers on each with regards to suspension components?

I knew about the door panels and agree that the older ones are nicer. Not aware of the perceived feel of difference as I have no frame of reference as you do. My wife though wants a newer one than mine because she is put off by the age they are getting now. I'd rather have an '09 Denali than a later one because of the engine and give up the software enhancements like Hill Start Assist and the cruise control updates and such.
Just more stuff to crap out on you.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The part numbers are all the same between the two I have which is an 08 Escalade and a 12 Yukon Denali. The only thing I didn’t check was the suspension control module itself. The shocks, springs, and control arms were all the same part number. I do know a Tahoe has different part numbers for the springs (not sure about anything else) and I also think a Tahoe with Auto Ride ride rougher (even with just 20” wheels) than a Denali or Escalade.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The part numbers are all the same between the two I have which is an 08 Escalade and a 12 Yukon Denali. The only thing I didn’t check was the suspension control module itself. The shocks, springs, and control arms were all the same part number. I do know a Tahoe has different part numbers for the springs (not sure about anything else) and I also think a Tahoe with Auto Ride ride rougher (even with just 20” wheels) than a Denali or Escalade.

My 09 Tahoe has Auto Ride with 20's and it isn't rough at all. When I replaced all of my suspension components, I researched a little on the system. I think the Tahoe does get heavier springs because the coils have more rungs than the Escalade ones. However, some of the escalades had mag ride, so that could explain the spring differences. The auto ride has 5 different front shock part numbers, which I never understood why. The non electronic shocks have a bunch of different choices too, but mag ride may be the difference you're feeling?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Escalade doesn’t have Mag Ride. The shock part numbers aren’t “different” per se, they’ve just been replaced many times with a new version and the old part numbers float around until stock is depleted.

No one needs to take anything I’m saying personally. I’m very picky about certain things and suspension is one of them and I have driven hundreds of these trucks in all configurations since they came out. The things I notice probably wouldn’t be noticed by many people. I also know an Escalade is the quietest inside, followed by the Denali, and then the regular Yukon and Tahoe/Suburban. If you’re happy with your truck than keep on enjoying it, I’m not hating on what anyone else is fine with or trying to change your opinion.

Last edited:

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if one is maintained, problems fixed when happened, preventative stuff done, you can easily enjoy one of these for years.. My 12 burb I bought with 97k and now sitting at 130k, all fluids changed, trans filter and fluid drop, struts up front, 1 motor mount, 2 new tires and front brake pads, and few bolt on performance things, compared to a 14 esky esv with 44k miles i almost bought, my burb rides better, the esky is quieter, but I'm happy with my purchase for sure. 1.5 years. If something is maintained and did a shit ton of hwy miles, then its so much easier to get higher mileage out of one, the stop and go traffic kills transmissions. Low engine hours, with high mileage means tons of miles at hwy speeds, that's about 1/4 the wear than high hours and high miles... So take that in account.... I would also say to look down here in texas, we have alot of SUV and in real nice shape with no rust problems... Find something on the northside of houston I can meet you at the airport and take you over to it.

No matter what I think these trucks are about the best SUV produced from 2000 to 2014...

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a steal for $6350. I paid $13k for my 09 Suburban 2500 with 216k and had to travel to Minnesota to get it. I talked the sales guy into putting in on the rack and taking 25+ pics to be 100% sure on the condition before I flew in and drove 14 hours home.

If it's not rusty you can fix anything else. Especially for that price.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, in context of what I was talking about, there are no additional parts. It's just software programming that improves safety and convenience.
restriction of the acceleration might be a safety improvement says the 2009.5 model
I test drove a few later model hybrids and they were pretty slow off the line 2010 & 2012 even the 0-60 miles are higher as well (not that it matters.)
i'm sure this restriction is available on the normal Tahoes after 2014 as well..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645