Buy or Rent Ball Joint Removal/Press?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Asking this forum since lifted vehicles are more than likely out on the trail...
Recently, I replaced a lower ball joint. I got the Loan-a-tool from Autozone for the basic press and master kit. The tool made the job easier to do than without it!
With the Loan-a-tool from Autozone, you have the option to return to get the deposit back or just keep it.
Right now, I am on the fence about keeping the tool. The guy at Autozone said he keeps one for his trail rig, which I thought may be a good idea. However, I wonder how often I would find myself in the situation out in the field where I would need this tool. The downside is I think this tool will go mostly unused.

Does anyone here have or is keeping their ball joint press kit? If so, what are your reasons for keeping the tool?

Reaction score
How much is the rental one compared to a new, never used as a loaner one?

I don't have a lifted suspension or really go off roading much, but I own the tool. I have multiple vehicles I can/will use it on though

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Amount of vehicles and how aggressive is it driven where you MAY need on the trail. I had a lifted 73 Blazer that I abused many times and never needed that tool. Have used at home though when I did a thorough after run inspection. The price of rental, buy the used tool from them and buying new needs to be considered.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rented/borrowed one of those and kept it. Real handy for lots of stuff, clamp it in the vise, change u-joints etc. and the round spacers come in handy too.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got two kits from Autozone...
The basic press kit and the master kit that has all the different size spacers and can be used for U-joints, too.
The deposit for both these kits is $180; they are OEM Tools brand.
The basic press kit has been used, but it is in good shape. Master kit I am the first to use (new store).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
korzone