Burnt up Tahoe, what could be viable to save?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nicolai8775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In June I was driving down the highway when my poor baby blew up on me. It was on fire for about 5-10 minutes before the fire department got there.

Can anything be saved internally in the motor, like my Sum8701 camshaft? Maybe take the hardened pushrods too. That's really all I'd want out of the block. You can see in the pics the aluminum heads didn't melt. Not sure if internals got hot enough to lose temper/hardness.

The only thing I really want to salvage is the brand new monster transmission that I only had about 5,000 miles on. It was painted green... But smoke damage turned it black... I'm unsure of how much damage it could have sustained seeing as the fire was contained to the engine bay.

What are your thoughts??

Attachments

• IMG_20210603_155531.jpg
    IMG_20210603_155531.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210604_122649.jpg
    IMG_20210604_122649.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210604_122712.jpg
    IMG_20210604_122712.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 22

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In June I was driving down the highway when my poor baby blew up on me. It was on fire for about 5-10 minutes before the fire department got there.

Can anything be saved internally in the motor, like my Sum8701 camshaft? Maybe take the hardened pushrods too. That's really all I'd want out of the block. You can see in the pics the aluminum heads didn't melt. Not sure if internals got hot enough to lose temper/hardness.

The only thing I really want to salvage is the brand new monster transmission that I only had about 5,000 miles on. It was painted green... But smoke damage turned it black... I'm unsure of how much damage it could have sustained seeing as the fire was contained to the engine bay.

What are your thoughts??
Sorry to hear of that. I bet you could salvage some of the engine parts, the transmission and rear axle if necessary. Cross rails too? Some hair dryer heat and that vent shade will be ready for your next ride too!

Oil line burst or what?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of that. I bet you could salvage some of the engine parts, the transmission and rear axle if necessary. Cross rails too? Some hair dryer heat and that vent shade will be ready for your next ride too!

Oil line burst or what?
that's only thing that caused a fire for me before, leaking valve covers......I was lucky and was able to put it out a couple times lol older trans am

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

What are your thoughts??

Sorry for your loss :sad72:

I'd be willing to bet that the cam and push rods are ok. Once you open it up, you'll be able to gauge how much heat got to them by observing the oil and surrounding components. Note the condition of the insides of the heads under the rocker covers, the valve stem seals, etc. I'd bet that the trans is okay as well since it appears to be a top engine fire and the trans is safely tucked under the cabin and behind the engine block.

OP
OP
N

Nicolai8775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My theory is I lean exploded the intake. Before I pulled over I had no throttle response like my fuel pump died. I was downshifting trying to find power to get over to the shoulder and maneuver around traffic and it was giving me some but it was sputtering and misfiring. Second I pulled over and stopped the hood popped and a fireball went out the wheel well.

Basically I'm at the point where I either leave it at the salvage yard and get the final chunk of the insurance settlement, or forfeit the rest and have them tow it to me

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My theory is I lean exploded the intake. Before I pulled over I had no throttle response like my fuel pump died. I was downshifting trying to find power to get over to the shoulder and maneuver around traffic and it was giving me some but it was sputtering and misfiring. Second I pulled over and stopped the hood popped and a fireball went out the wheel well.

Basically I'm at the point where I either leave it at the salvage yard and get the final chunk of the insurance settlement, or forfeit the rest and have them tow it to me

Or the fuel line popped loose, causing a loss of pressure (loss of power) then the leaked fuel ignited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288