Burned spark plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Millennium Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, All, I changed out my O2 sensors, and decided to check my plugs while I was at it. I installed these plugs less than 40k miles ago. At the time of purchase, the Delco 41-110 was recommended, and I puchased them from Amazon (yes, I know, now). I bought Delco 41-162 from O'Reilly or RockAuto to replace them. (I don't remember which, as I've been sitting on them for a while.) Anyway, I pulled the #1 plug and was shocked at what I found. I proceeded to swap all the plugs. Each and every one looked like this:

plugs_f67e22485d3f3130441002fe581451b05398e3ed.jpg
(Image borrowed from Corvette Forum.)

Actually, the electrodes are even with the porcelain on all of them. I had no problems with these plugs; no misfires, stumbles, or poor mileage. My wife gets 15 mpg on her commute to work up and down the hill. We took our kids to Medieval Times in Southern California in February averaging 16.5 mpg down there, around L.A., and back over the Grapevine to Bakersfield. Filled up in Bakersfield and got nearly 20 mpg the rest of the way home.

Anyway, I've had no noticeable problems with these plugs. Could there be a problem with the Falcon I should look for, or is it likely just shit Chinese manufacturing? Thanks.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s normal “wear” on a spark plug. You won’t have misfires unless the plug is fouled or the porcelain is cracked.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If those plugs were platinum with only 40k that is NOT normal wear at all for a Platinum spark plug. One of the reasons Platinum is used is because its melting point is 3215 def F ! So it takes a very long time for them to wear down like what you are seeing in your spark plugs. Ive seen 100k plugs with hardly any of the platinum tip eroded away. Yours just does not jive with a true oem equivalent platinum plug. I believe you got knockoffs.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If those plugs were platinum with only 40k that is NOT normal wear at all for a Platinum spark plug. One of the reasons Platinum is used is because its melting point is 3215 def F ! So it takes a very long time for them to wear down like what you are seeing in your spark plugs. Ive seen 100k plugs with hardly any of the platinum tip eroded away. Yours just does not jive with a true oem equivalent platinum plug. I believe you got knockoffs.

^^^This.

AC Delco 41-110 are OE iridium plugs. Platinum nor Iridium plugs should wear like that at 40K. You got knock-offs and lucked up that accelerated wear was all you experienced. Good on you for checkin 'em out and finding this before it got worse.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^This.

AC Delco 41-110 are OE iridium plugs. Platinum nor Iridium plugs should wear like that at 40K. You got knock-offs and lucked up that accelerated wear was all you experienced. Good on you for checkin 'em out and finding this before it got worse.
Yeah and Iridium is even higher melting point than Platinum at 4435 deg F !!! WOW those spark plugs were hosed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu