Build Vs Buy (5.3 to 6.0)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josueh95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually it is not an LQ6 its is an LQ9 which is found on escalades silverado SS and even on some 2500 silverados

OP
OP
TxDrewski

TxDrewski

Full Access Member
Reaction score
actually it is not an LQ6 its is an LQ9 which is found on escalades silverado SS and even on some 2500 silverados

Gotcha. So what route do you recommend Joseuh? I see your performance happy like me lol.

jomulk56

Resident Lurker
Reaction score
I'd build it from the block up personally. I don't think it matters if it's new or used unless you're buying it from a speed shop that's done everything you were going to anyways. Also, if it were me I'd do it right while it's out of the truck, even if that means it takes 3 years to build it.

Sent from Tapatalk

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
This is a topic that is near and dear to my heart. I've been planning a wild LS build for a long time now so I've been researching LS rebuild options for a wihle.

Your power levels should be really be easy to hit if you go with some basic upgrades. Dyno-proven gains of up to 100hp above stock output are well documented with as little as headers and a cam upgrade.

I will take a good seasoned used block any day, Then you go and deburr the entire block, do some work on the oil galley drains and also some massage work on the oil pan and the oil pump. Just because the block is used, doesn't mean it's bad.

Regarding building on a used block or going with a new block, this is mainly a matter of opinion and preference...but I see eye-to-eye with livingez here - but only if you rebuild using an iron block. Hot rodders from the 60's would swear up and down that a used block was stronger than a new block due to the heating/cooling cycles that they go through. Another part of the "used versus new" argument from "back then" was due to the makeup of the metal...the manufacturers were trying different recipes for the metal for the blocks, so the early ones had different carbon content and metallurgy recipes, so the "newer" blocks (think 70's versus 60's) were a bit weaker. This metallurgy part doesn't apply as much today that I know of, but I do buy into the "seasoned" aspect.

As long as a block hasn't been destroyed by overheating or had a catastrophic failure of the rotating assembly then it'll be fine. A reputable machine shop that knows what they're doing when turning the crank and machining the cylinders (preferably with a torque plate) is the way to go when doing a build from a used block.

If you do upgrades to either form of the engine once it's bought or purchased, I'd recommend steering clear of using underdrive pulleys. I've read that swapping to a non-balanced underdrive crank pulley can cause premature wear and failure of the front crank bearing.

The biggest reason I would recommend rebuilding a used engine is that for a price similar to a crate engine you can rebuild with forged components. If you're selective with choosing your engine's internals you can end up with a lighter rotating assembly that's stronger than stock. A lighter rotating assembly frees up power that was previously spent moving a heaver assembly. Since it will be stronger you can boost it with a supercharger and really get into some serious fun.

justinlw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one has mentioned a major difference between the two engines yet: The torque curve. This is what is pushing me towards the 6.0. You can pull big numbers on the dyno with either engine, but the 6 down where you actually need it for daily driving situations and towing. My biggest complaint with the 5.3 is the need to downshift at highway speeds on slight grades.

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
No one has mentioned a major difference between the two engines yet: The torque curve. This is what is pushing me towards the 6.0. You can pull big numbers on the dyno with either engine, but the 6 down where you actually need it for daily driving situations and towing. My biggest complaint with the 5.3 is the need to downshift at highway speeds on slight grades.

I suspect that the increase in torque/hp is implied between the two which is why no one has commented on that much. Since you bring it up, it really depends upon the build you're planning on doing. If you're only going to rebuild a 5.3 to stock specs versus buying a crate 6.0, then I'd pick the 6.0.

However, if you're going to rebuild of "an engine", there's a lot of directions that one could go with. I guessed that you'd be buying the engine from craigslist or a salvage yard...if this is the case then you could pick up a used 6.0 and rebuild *that* engine. Are you going to run a supercharger or nitrous? If you're going N/A and rebuilding your existing 5.3 then you could always go with a stroker kit and make your 5.3 as big or bigger than a 6.0. Are you open to adding more than LT's to get more power?

Any aspect of this could make a rebuild (your 5.3 or another LS engine) better performing than a 6.0 crate engine. If you are expecting different input could you give us a better idea of what you're planning when you mention you're considering a rebuild. :)

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well he is talking either buying a crate 5.3 vs building a 6.0. first if both were stock I would go with the 6.0, now adding mods to it and its a no brainer. go with the 6.0.

josueh95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id get a lightly used lq4 or lq9 for usually around 1100. for the price differene of the engines you can get the lq4 stripped down and worked on to be as good as new and still have the advantage of a 6.0 over a 5.3 to start with...from their with a cam headers tune and stall should be enough to put a good smile on your face..im thinking of picking up a 6.0 soon and swapping my cam over and doing some worked 243 heads

justinlw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suspect that the increase in torque/hp is implied between the two which is why no one has commented on that much. Since you bring it up, it really depends upon the build you're planning on doing. If you're only going to rebuild a 5.3 to stock specs versus buying a crate 6.0, then I'd pick the 6.0.

However, if you're going to rebuild of "an engine", there's a lot of directions that one could go with. I guessed that you'd be buying the engine from craigslist or a salvage yard...if this is the case then you could pick up a used 6.0 and rebuild *that* engine. Are you going to run a supercharger or nitrous? If you're going N/A and rebuilding your existing 5.3 then you could always go with a stroker kit and make your 5.3 as big or bigger than a 6.0. Are you open to adding more than LT's to get more power?

Any aspect of this could make a rebuild (your 5.3 or another LS engine) better performing than a 6.0 crate engine. If you are expecting different input could you give us a better idea of what you're planning when you mention you're considering a rebuild. :)

I wasn't talking about the increase, more about where the torque is located in the rpm range. Either way, for a truck the 6.0l is an easy decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove