Budget fuel pump option?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ahhh, the old pull/push pumps. The newer design does push better and is more constant and runs cooler. More of a PITA to replace but that is why quality is so important.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The fuel pump job is deff one you don’t want to do 2x due to cheap parts or a failed fuel level sender if the original is reused.

Heed the advice provided and know you’ve avoided a lot of heartache from installing cheapie copycat parts.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Hit the Brakes!
Title: Budget Fuel Tank Option

Update:
I suppose I should have been more specific...

This thread is not about choosing between GM/Delco and the cheaper brands.

… The problem actually turned out to not be the fuel pump. Fuel pressure was good, and I ended up realizing that my dumb ass forgot to plug the crank sensor back in when I did the starter…

I appreciate the generosity towards my neighbor

Last edited:

MassHoe04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hit the Brakes!
Title: Budget Fuel Tank Option

Update:

… The problem actually turned out to not be the fuel pump. Fuel pressure was good, and I ended up realizing that my dumb ass forgot to plug the crank sensor back in when I did the starter…

I appreciate the generosity towards my neighbor
It's all good...

Things to keep in mind here:
1) The bonus conversation about what fuel pumps to get or stay away from cold still be helpful to other members in the future, as they are searching for answers.
2) I am sure that you will not be the only person in history to have left the crank sensor disconnected after replacing the starter (or other work in the area).

You can be thankful for the generosity of other forum members, who were ready and willing to help pitch in, if help was needed.

You can also be thankful, that it was only a simple procedural mistake that prevented the truck from starting and not a real issue that was going to cost a lot!
You wound up with a no-cost solution. You were capable to have figured it out and got it going before more money was spent.

That is a win for you and a big win for the truck owner you were nice enough to help out on this repair!

It may have been an oversight to not connect the sensor, but hey... Hats off to you on this one for your calm, persistent, methodical approach and coming out on top!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's all good...

Things to keep in mind here:
1) The bonus conversation about what fuel pumps to get or stay away from cold still be helpful to other members in the future, as they are searching for answers.
2) I am sure that you will not be the only person in history to have left the crank sensor disconnected after replacing the starter (or other work in the area).

You can be thankful for the generosity of other forum members, who were ready and willing to help pitch in, if help was needed.

You can also be thankful, that it was only a simple procedural mistake that prevented the truck from starting and not a real issue that was going to cost a lot!
You wound up with a no-cost solution. You were capable to have figured it out and got it going before more money was spent.

That is a win for you and a big win for the truck owner you were nice enough to help out on this repair!

It may have been an oversight to not connect the sensor, but hey... Hats off to you on this one for your calm, persistent, methodical approach and coming out on top!
Many many many times on this forum, when a member has done some work and then something unexpected happens after the fact, the problem is solved by going back and inspecting a former work area on the rig.

We all can't be perfect and never make mistakes, like myself........ :chewie:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The mod caught it not me. I drove through the stop sign and only intended to make it bigger. Nothing bad happened, did not intend to brow beat on the unexpected outcome because, like you said, it’s a win finding the solution, regardless.

If you really want to have your stomach drop after climbing out of the engine bay, try leaving a spark plug wire off and watch the cluster light up like a Xmas tree and the motor fight to keep idle. Your all aces in my book for helping the Mom with her hands full out of a jam.

Cheers!

edward case

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You could see if the local junkyard/UPull has one, but they might be somewhat rare. And, as others have said, reliability is a serious question. Really, though, it's up to you what risks you want to take.
Pumps seem to go bad when they sit for a year or more. I have to happen at two older vehicles recently.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts