Broken wire leading to stop light switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzTank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK guys if this is the wrong section I apologize. My brake lights went out. Turns reverse and hazards work just fine. Top mount brake light is out too. Changed the switch no go. Did some research on here and noticed post about the pigtail harness going to the switch being cut. Mine is fine but the harness the pigtail plugs into is cut. I wasn't able to get to it from the bottom or the top dropping the column. Any one got any advise on how to get to it? If I can I'll try my best to get a pic

OP
OP
AzTank

AzTank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OK went back to take a picture but none of them came out with a good enough quality to bother posting. All i can see is the harness that plugs into the brake light switch also plugs into a blue colored harness connection and that is where i see a broken white wire. I can't reach it to pull out anything, even with the column dropped down to the dash cross bar

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Well if it is completely white in color it is likely the feeder wire that comes from the fuse block "stop" fuse that starts as a orange wire going into the switch and changes to white which feeds the signal switch to the brake lights and the cruise control and abs modules as well.

OP
OP
AzTank

AzTank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looks like this was repaired before, the wires don't watch and there is solder less connectors in the mix. I still can't figure out what to remove to get to this bundle of wires. it's my daily so pulling the column isn't an easy option. taking a picture to show what i mean is out. there is just no space to get a good pic.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
The bundle would likely need separation and is often wrapped up in tape and in large amounts. It will be painful but you just got to get down under there. Even if you do end up upside down with blood rushing to your head.

OP
OP
AzTank

AzTank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
yeah i figured as much. Hopefully when I am moving all those wires out of the way no other brittle wires break haha.

OP
OP
AzTank

AzTank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
UPDATE. still no brake lights, now the reverse lights are gone as well. So no brake lights no third light, no reverse lights. blinkers and taillights run as intended. all broken wires have been fixed. would the turn signal stem/switch be the next logical part to replace?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
since the revers lights are out now two. concentrate on the rear lights harness connectors. one in the engine compartment and one on rear of left frame rail.

OP
OP
AzTank

AzTank

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok. i'll check there. took just a brief look under there before it started raining here. there is a tow harness under there taped up that leads as you stated into the left frame rail. i'll check into it see what i can find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo