Broken Tie Rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious, has anyone with a 4x4 and larger tires ever broken a tie rod? If so, what was the damage? I guess I've been lucky in that I've been wheeling "the beast" since '07 and have had 0 issues. Living on borrowed time? Gonna pull the trigger on the Kryptonites soon just because I want to prevent the inevitable.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious, has anyone with a 4x4 and larger tires ever broken a tie rod? If so, what was the damage? I guess I've been lucky in that I've been wheeling "the beast" since '07 and have had 0 issues. Living on borrowed time? Gonna pull the trigger on the Kryptonites soon just because I want to prevent the inevitable.
Well....I've never seen things go well when a tie rod breaks. I've never broken one, but I have seen anywhere from just the tie rod needing replaced to complete spontaneous separation of knuckle from the control arms or worse.

OP
OP
DirtDigler

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea trying to prevent this! Especially out in the sticks. He also broke font cv shaft. Told my wife it's to prevent future costs!

Attachments

• 20210213_082952.jpg
    20210213_082952.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 5

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of tossed the same question around at 4wheel parts and they said you are better off just throwing a spare tire rod in your gear bag because even though the tire rods are a weak spot on IFS you want a weak spot, strengthening that up means you could break something else instead that is not so easily replaced.
sort of made sense to me, eyeballing a new tie rod on would at least get you back on the road and a alignment could be done later. I would imagine a gear box would be harder to break than a rack n pinion though.

OP
OP
DirtDigler

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that too. They've held up nice through slot of abuse so far and with having almost bulletproof tie rods, something else is bound to give. Hmmmm, decisions , decisions

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yep, steering goes away and that weak link is pretty easy to replace. Carry a spare. Weak spot is like the u-joints on driveshafts.

OP
OP
DirtDigler

DirtDigler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was actually about to round up spare parts when I started looking at Kryptonite . I'm all for keeping it simple, but in the back of my mind I'm afraid of collateral damage if and when a tie rod decides to call it a day. That could end up costing a lot more, like front diff stuff, ya know? You guys are probably right though.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was actually about to round up spare parts when I started looking at Kryptonite . I'm all for keeping it simple, but in the back of my mind I'm afraid of collateral damage if and when a tie rod decides to call it a day. That could end up costing a lot more, like front diff stuff, ya know? You guys are probably right though.

We behind ya either way bro.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu