Broken rear window defog contact

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tojo152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixable?

eef0194321ee0758b70287e6e6e566d3.jpg

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed mine the other day

I used a small butane torch soldering iron. You can buy a torch lighter at the gas station and it will do the same.
Grab it with a good plier at the tab. Heat up the underside with the mini torch. You will see it liquefy. Place it in place and hold. Wait a couple of seconds till it's solid. Now let go let it cool and grab it again. Apply the torch to the now backside you will feel it jostle slightly when it liquifys. This takes only seconds. Now all the solder on the glass has become liquid. Remove the flame hold your pliers and don't move it for at least 10-15 seconds. It should harden. Let it sit overnight don't reattach the wire yet. Take the coil wire and strech it some as to relieve some of the tension and the next day plop her back on. Should be good as new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

asx455

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

It is a common problem and it is fixable. Locktite make a kit for under $10.00 and you can buy it online. Google search " rear defroster tab adhesive" and you will find it. It has great reviews compared to some others. I am ordering it myself.

3Dcaraudio

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Defog contact repair

You can go over to Oriley's, they sell a repair kit that works just fine.

M3kanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This happened on my 2010 tahoe. I took it to the dealer and it didn't even last a weak. So I did some research and found http://www.frostfighter.com/index.htm. It has lasted. Now it has happened to my 2002 suburban but I have not had time to fix it.

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
Permatex is cheaper n works. Frost fighter is a bit pricey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm bringing up an old thread, but I think THIS is the solution I was looking for, especially the weblink. Should this be in the tech info?

Anyway, thanks Nicholas, I'll probably be trying that fix.
Larry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo